Tri-Ax shifter handle Q

Hey guys,

I just had a question about this product.

http://www.partshopper.com/shop/Steeda-Tri-Ax-Shifter-Handle-m73.html

Will this shifter handle only bolt up to the tri-ax shifter or can I install it right to my stock t-5? I think the product description says it bolts right up to a stock t-5, but I could be confused. Also, will just having this shifter handle actually shorten the throw of my shifts? Thanks for any input.

• Sponsors (?)

JamesBaumann said:
Hey guys,

I just had a question about this product.

http://www.partshopper.com/shop/Steeda-Tri-Ax-Shifter-Handle-m73.html

Will this shifter handle only bolt up to the tri-ax shifter or can I install it right to my stock t-5? I think the product description says it bolts right up to a stock t-5, but I could be confused. Also, will just having this shifter handle actually shorten the throw of my shifts? Thanks for any input.
Should bolt on and shorten the shift. Post your results.

I've made 3 of my own short handles from stock shifter handles and it does make it feel shorter but I would reccomend buying a complete shifter they are way nicer to shift and you won't damage your shift forks. And I have heard that the handles you were looking at will fit the stock shifter. But you can save money but cutting a few inches out of yours and welding it back togeather.

Here's my 2 cents:

I put a short throw shifter handle on my stock shifter in my old '90, and it shortened the shifts but didn't make up for the fact that the stock shifter sucks. How many miles does your car have on it? I think that once the factory shifter gets around 100K on it, it starts to get really sloppy. While out in St. Louis at the World Ford Challenge one year, I missed third gear twice thanks to that crappy stock shifter, so the next day I went and bought a UPR Blu Thunder shifter at the show for $125. Difference is night and day!

The upr billet piece is very nice, it makes you feel like you are shifting a new car, it makes the tranny wine alittle but who cares, it is WELL worth it, I now have the crappy hurst shifter I modified, with a kirban quik shift handle which I think is shorter than the tri-ax, and it dosent even come close to the upr. Get a pro 5.0 or upr and you will want to drive it eveywhere.

Josh

JosephB said:
I had to put thread lock on mt pro50 shifter bolts because they kept backing out no matter how much I tightened them.

Mine backed out once shortly after I first installed the shifter, and after I changed handles, but I made sure to tighten them down good the last few times (with lock washers) and I haven't had a problem since then.

BTW I'm using a cut & rewelded stock handle on my UPR shifter as I didn't care for the location of the UPR handle- the cut stock handle is just as short as the UPR one but the knob is located farther back and more toward me, I like it a lot better like that.

Guys take it from me , in my freinds 98 saleen he changed it from a stock hurst piece to a steeda tri - ax and I drove it and it was ok , in my 97 GT I had a Pro 50 unit and it was great , now I have a hurst shifter with a hurst short throw handle with a 2003 GT leather handle and its the best feel I have ever had , but still love the 35th ann ed / bullitt shifter knob.:flag: