i had tri-y's before i went with the cable set up.if the
cable was run as straight as possible to the bell housing
,it would have had to pass thru about half of one of the
header tubes.in other words if i had smashed the tube
half way in the cable would have cleared.i don't know
the brand of the headers but they were purchased
from tony branda.i now wish that i had tried to cut
and weld in pipe to keep them.they sounded and performed
much better than the shorties on it now.

I've researched this quite a bit in the last few weeks. I was able to find a couple people with Tri-Y and cable who were still in the build stage, but no one with any MILES on a cable/T5 setup. I found several who had tried without success.

I plan to keep my Tri-Y's also. The best setup I've seen is the hydraulic clutch from JMC. Yeah, It runs about $350, but "do it once, do it right, and you're done"....

I have tri-y's with a cable setup. If the cable is run straight into the bellhousing, there will be clearance issues. I, however, made a small bracket that goes under one of the side oil pan bolts. The bracket holds the cable inward(toward the engine) to keep it off the header. The cable then curves outward to the hole in the bellhousing. The only place where I had heat issues was where the cable first bends down at the front of the header. This was cured by wrapping that section of the cable in some hi-temp insulation. I haven't had any problems since then, that was 2 1/2 years ago and about 35,000 miles.

loup
cable length isn't really the problem.the cable from my
kit might be from a fox body (plastic quadrant) retrofit.
the problem comes from where the cable has to go thru
the bell housing.
jba makes great shorties!...think they are about 5oo though
you may be able to modify your headers,and tie back the
cable(like 302 coupe has done)