Trickflow H/C/I Done today! Good day turns bad then good.VERY long.

King Cobra 22

Feb 29, 2004
This morning I went to go pick up my car from the shop.
Today is one day I will never forget!
When the car was done the mechanic (owner of the performance shop) took me for a ride in my mustang to see if it drives ok. My car did not need a chip... he got it to idle somehow.I thought I was going to need a chip.
Anyway he drove 1/4 throttle. 1/2 throttle and 3/4 throttle.

We then went to an open road by the shop away from cars and people and he wanted to see how it goes WOT. The road is little over a 1/4 mile long.At the end is a stop sign and you can go left or right not straight.He goes WOT the car is pulling like crazy We get to about 80 mph and all of a sudden he yells.....

OH ***** WE HAVE NO BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!! The stop sign is maybe 50-70 yards away.I was so freaking scared.I thought to myself he races cars I hope we don't lose control. Up ahead (the road ends and you can only go left or right) He starts swerving to slow the car down and it slowed to maybe 40-50 mph and he yells HOLD ON and tries to make a 90 degree right turn going at those speeds.The tires are sguealing and we go into the ditch right towards a big tree.I see the tree and I thought to myself I'm going to the hospital.

I grab onto something and closed my eyes as hard as I could.
He misses the tree and we pop out of the ditch back onto the road.
Then when we get back onto the road the brakes came back.
We pulled over all shaken up to check for damage. Turns out the damage was minimal.My front bumper was busted up along with the headlight and a dent on the side of the car.My front tire and rim was also scraped.Thank god he was a good driver.

Turns out my master cylinder is leaking.The freaky thing is it brakes fine now.
I need to replace it ASAP though.
As far as the damage he is going to replace everything damaged.
I was lucky we didn't spray the nitrous.I might not of been here right now.
I know the guy so i wasn't really mad at him.

Anyway driving my car back home I felt a big difference in power.WOW. night and day from stock.

The exhaust is so much louder.Almost too loud now (magnapacks,O/R H,headers).I LOVE the idle.What a difference.That cam has alot of lope.

I figured what happend today would of ruined my day but I'm just so happy with the H/C/I that I'm actually in a good mood.

One thing I forgot to mention was he said when we were going WOT that I was hitting the rev limiter on every shift.I have a shift kit in my AODE and he said it shifts too late and a chip will fix that.Anyone ever have this problem?

Also if you are wondering why he didn't use the E brake.He said we would of spun the back end out and he would of lost control.

Sorry for such a long post!
Merry Christmas and be safe.

• Sponsors (?)

Parking brake, manually downshift auto tranny, pump brakes. Maybe I am just lucky, lol. I have had to drive some real heaps when I was growing up. Actually, the parking brake should not throw the back end around considering all of your forward momentum. Now if he hit the parking brake during the turn, then who knows which way it will go. Glad you hear yall are ok though. Have fun with the new combo, but gets the brakes fixed first.

I would seriously be surprised if the e-brake did a damn thing at all, ours are absolute garbage. Glad to hear it wasn't worse that it was. But damn, him being a mechanic, it's kind of funny as hell that all of the sudden the brakes went out, lol. Sorry................ :(

Yeah, I think I would have tried the e-brake. You can control how much to "apply". But of course that is easy to say now, I'm sure at the moment he just didn't think of it, I know I probably wouldnt have.

Ya, the downshifting would have been a good idea too.

Kevin R. said:
Yeah, I think I would have tried the e-brake. You can control how much to "apply". But of course that is easy to say now, I'm sure at the moment he just didn't think of it, I know I probably wouldnt have.

Ya, the downshifting would have been a good idea too.

The thought of pulling the E-brake wasn't even in my mind.It's right after it was done when all thease ideas hit you.I'm sure some of you know how that goes.

If I didn't have my H/C/I in today...It would of ruined my day.

I'm so amazed on how much different the car is.
I remeber when I would be in O/D at about 30-40mph(have 4:10's) the car would be a pig and when you try to acclerate, it just wouldn't want to move.
Now I just tap the gas and the car goes.

And going 1/2 throttle feels like my old full throttle.

I'm also suprised on how much power the car makes in the higher rpm's.
Before it would pull decent up to 4grand then you don't feel much pull after.
Now it keeps on pulling and doesn't stop.

AND I just LOVE the cam! It is so much louder at idle and it sounds very mean.

Sweet...nice xmas gift...Amazing how much the motor is bottled up til you make it breathe some, and its a whole different car...Top end is way better...I remember how much different it was to have it keep pulling...:nice:

tjh566 said:
another reason why im glad i drive a 5 speed, slam it in first and pop the cluch out and yank the e-brake, your down to 20 mph at least
dude, i really hope you never decide to force the tranny into 1st at 80. even with 2.73's it would be a disaster at that speed. and as everyone said, there are a few things he could have done to lower the speed but when you are actually in that emergency situation, your mind is thinking far less logically than after the stress is over and you are sitting at your computer looking back on everything. just thank God that nobody was going by from either the left or the right when you went through the stop sign and that you were both not hurt when the car went into the ditch. car parts can always be replaced, you're life cannot. get that thing fixed and get some dyno numbers. happy holidays.

I think the point he was getting with the manual is that he could have downshifted through the gears really without thinking about it. If he would have thrown it into first it would have probably locked up the tires before it destroyed the motor.

anyways sounded like a total adrinalin rush.. Just in case you didn't know that is a really bad time for the breaks to quit hehehe. Can laugh about this now because nobody got hurt but thats really kind of a scary thought.

drakesdad said:
Hey King,
Glad to hear you weren't hurt, but that is a story to tell the kids one day.
Let me know if you any trouble with stalling, just curious if I am the only one.

I have no problems with stalling when I'm in drive at a light.
Sometimes though If I put it in park and then put it in drive and go it will stall.
But that is only sometimes.If I just leave it in drive it idles fine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

He told me I didn't need a chip for the H/C/I. But I may need one now to raise the rev limiter.

Is it bad or does it slow your car down when you hit the rev limiter on shifts?
He told me my car would be even faster if I raised the rev limiter because the cam would still make power pass the stock rev limiter.