trickflow or bbk?

• Sponsors (?)

I've done some searching and reading and am trying to make up my mind between the tfs R series w/75mm opening and bbk ssi manifolds. (on my 95) im leaning towards the tfs, just looking for a 2nd opinion. thanks

edit: meant to mention im going to be running iron gt40s from a 93 cobra w/ tfs valve springs, and maybe a steeda 19 cam. not sure about 1.6 or 1.7 roller rockers ? future plans are to run boost of some sort, s/c, or turbo but might haveto wait till i build a stronger block.

The TFS would probably flow a lot more air than the GT40's are capable of, but that's still the route I'd go. I've heard too many issues with the SSI and oil in the upper plenum that I've never heard about the TFS.

edit: meant to mention im going to be running iron gt40s from a 93 cobra w/ tfs valve springs, and maybe a steeda 19 cam. not sure about 1.6 or 1.7 roller rockers ? future plans are to run boost of some sort, s/c, or turbo but might haveto wait till i build a stronger block.

The TFS R intake is way too much intake for that combo. Do you already have the heads? If so, I'd go with a gt40 intake and either a custom cam or a tfs stage 1 cam. If not, why not go with a trick flow top end kit and save some money?

The TFS R intake is way too much intake for that combo. Do you already have the heads? If so, I'd go with a gt40 intake and either a custom cam or a tfs stage 1 cam. If not, why not go with a trick flow top end kit and save some money?

So you're saying that a custom cam and a tfs stage 1 cam have the same value?

FWIW, TMOSS did a study on 3 intakes, Edelbrock, TFS and unported Cobra. The Cobra stayed with them all the way to 6200 rpm, iirc. So you can save some bucks there, but when you upgrade other stuff, you will need(depends on your goals) a larger intake. But this will also depends on what rpm you'll be running. IMO either will work, you will have to accommodate for the more air with more fuel and a couple things more.

So you're saying that a custom cam and a tfs stage 1 cam have the same value?

FWIW, TMOSS did a study on 3 intakes, Edelbrock, TFS and unported Cobra. The Cobra stayed with them all the way to 6200 rpm, iirc. So you can save some bucks there, but when you upgrade other stuff, you will need(depends on your goals) a larger intake. But this will also depends on what rpm you'll be running. IMO either will work, you will have to accommodate for the more air with more fuel and a couple things more.

No, I am not saying that. I am saying if he can't afford a custom cam, go with a tfs stage 1. As far as the intake goes, on the motor I'm building, I'm running a ported lower tubular gt40 upper, tw heads, 284hr cam, s trim, tweecer, and supporting mods.. However, my combo has cost a hell of a lot more than the trick flow top end setup. My car is primarily a street car. In addition to TMoss, every other dyno test and article I've read shows that nothing beats the GT40/Cobra under 5500 rpms which is where my car will spend most of it's time.

With that money I'd get a new set of TFS or Canfield heads with a custom cam to match. You'd be @ $1900 and use the rest for the rest of the combination. If you can't finish the whole car with that money, save a little bit more and get the rest of the components. But this way, you'll already have a good set heads and cam, the rest you can piece together buying used parts.

Believe me, there's a reason why my signature says what it says. The GT40 head approach just isn't worth it. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent starter head, but don't come close to tfs or canfield aluminum heads.