trouble codes. HELP!

demon40

Jul 24, 2004
canton, nc
well i have a turbo charged cobra that keeps tripping trouble codes. When I first start the car the light does not come on, but after driving it for a bit the check engine light comes on and i get three trouble code. 511, Electronic Control Assembly (eca) problem-read-only memory (rom) test failure. 538, insufficient RPM change during dynamic response test (engine run self test), or invalid cylinder balance test-throttle position movement, or invalid cylinder balance test-cylinder identification problems. If any one has any ideas as to what the problem could be it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Brandon

• Sponsors (?)

well i have a turbo charged cobra that keeps tripping trouble codes. When I first start the car the light does not come on, but after driving it for a bit the check engine light comes on and i get three trouble code. 511, Electronic Control Assembly (eca) problem-read-only memory (rom) test failure. 538, insufficient RPM change during dynamic response test (engine run self test), or invalid cylinder balance test-throttle position movement, or invalid cylinder balance test-cylinder identification problems. If any one has any ideas as to what the problem could be it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Brandon

what's the third trouble code number?

511 means you need a new PCM. :eek: But maybe there is someone else here that can shed some light on that code.

538 = did you cycle the OD switch, turn the steering wheel 1/2 turn each way and cycle the brake pedal once at the proper time? If you didn't, theres you answer.

fyi - http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/445.shtml for a better code layout.

When was the last time you disconnected the battery from the system to reset the computer? If you haven't done it recently, disconnect the ground, depress the brake pedal for 30 secs, then reconnect and drive the car until the CEL comes on again.

The computer may just need to be reset. I have seen this many times with other 12V boards and I am assume our PCM is likely susceptible to low voltage freak-outs or spikes.
Scott

Brandon, I agree that more info is needed (the chip question is quite valid with regard to your first code, for instance).

Also shed light into how the car is tuned (RT, chip, etc) and what symptoms it's showing.

Good luck.

yes the car does have a chip, it is a new johnson motorsports sct chip. When i called them they told me that for the 538 code i need to check the wires going to my distributer. But i did not turn the steering wheel or cycle the break pedal. So ill probably need to try that As for the symptoms, none. The only problem i am having is that the car is running rich

Brandon

Did they mention anything about 511 perhaps being caused by the chip (it seems to me that it can be a checksum thing)?

ok i reset the computer and pulled the codes correctly, and still the same thing so im lost as to wht to do now. The 511 code is the chip but i still dont know what could be causing the 538 code :shrug:

you have to do the steering wheel/od switch/brake pedal at the correct time. The haynes manual says when you are supposed to but I can't remember.

ALso, I may be forgetting something else you have to do. You might want to look that up.

If you are running rich, you need to get your chip retuned on a dyno or a WB setup. I know they run boosted cars richer b/c it's "safer". w/o knowing how rich you are running, I can't tell you if it's normal or not.
Scott