TUNE ?

HKYBUM33

Jun 11, 2003
My 99 GT only has a MAC catback and a K&N airfilter. I recently installed BBK longtubes and an offroad h-pipe. Would this make me run lean or rich ? My check engine light is not on thanks to my mil's but should I get a tune done and tweak the timing a bit aswell as make sure that I'm not running too rich or too lean ?

• Sponsors (?)

In my opion anything that you do to the car that can bring in more air can cause some leaning. This has been proven over and over again on dynos. Just removing the MAF screen will cause a car to run a little lean.

Though, as modded, and w/o a blower any leaning that would result should be minor and not a problem.

For every dozen dyno tunes I have seen on a lightly modded car, I see maybe one that really needed a tune. I have only seen 5 - 8 hp gains in these situations. Not worth the money. Besides, how long will the tune hold? And, dynos do NOT replicate air flowing into the car as it is stationary on the dyno. Therefore, for such a slight tune, you might be doing more harm than good.

For example, I recently saw a video of an LM-1 A/F data logger being used on a car. On the dyno the car was lean, but on the street in actual conditions, it was slightly rich. Same car and same day.

I say no tune unless you have a compelling reason to get one such as fouled plugs, black smoke, etc... that can not be addressed in some other way.