Tuning Q

I never thought about this but, if your running a 160 T stat vice a 180/195/205 should you also run colder plugs?

Also, since I have a 160 stat, what would be a benefit to go to a 180? I'm just trying to make my car more drivable.

Lastly, while cruising around @ about 60mph (3k rpm) it has a little cough or a studder every now in then. It is only noticeable through the exhaust note. Is that me having bad plugs? I just rebuilt my carb (600 Edel) and it has a electronic ignition on it.

• Sponsors (?)

I like to run driver cars around the 180-200deg range to improve the burn. A hotter engine burns more efficiently and has better cylinder wall wear. If you run the car colder I would go with a stock range or slightly hotter plug to reduce fouling if you find the plugs getting fouled easily (also check that the carb is setup properly). With a carb I find fuel will atomize/evaporate better with a warmer engine.

I'll include an interesting picture, take it for what it's worth (free) :)

Wes

Ideal-coolant-temperature.gif

Run whatever T-Stat will keep the engine at 180-210*. Sometimes it takes a 160 to get it in that temp range (like my V8 Ranger) As for cold plugs, that's got more to do with the engine's resistance to detonation, colder plugs allow a higher resistance to detonation, same as for the octane rating.