Turbo 95 Dyno results

Don 95Vert

Founding Member
Oct 1, 1999
Delaware, OH
Not a Mustang, but my Gen 1 Lightning - I posted it here because this is where I go the most...

Took my turbo Lightning to the dyno today to get a baseline comparison with the old motor to compare with the new motor which will go in in a few weeks. It's a '94 daily driver with 143,000 and a totally stock motor, except for a roller cam and new valve springs - the heads have never been off. It has a mass air conversion on it and a LaSota Racing Custom tune - the tune is very conservative - very rich and only 17* of spark. I run 94 octane pump gas. The turbo is a PT64E with a LaSota Automotive custom turbo system on it.

Nothing spectacular, but more than I expected. With only 11# of boost it made 481/635. On the street it makes 12.5# of boost, so I'm sure it's over 500. I LOVE the torque - it explains why I get annoying wheelspin even at highway speeds when it gets into boost.

The new motor is basically a stock rebuild with forged pistons and H beam rods, stock crank, line honed and balanced. I'm sticking with rebuilt stock heads and intake on it, but we may up the boost to 14# if pump gas allows it - it will be lower CR. I don't get on here very often, so if anyone has questions, feel free to email me about it at [email protected]

lightning-dyno.gif

dons-L-engine.gif

dons-L.gif

• Sponsors (?)

Very nice numbers on the kind of tune that I'd like (conservative). :hail2:

You know, when having annoying wheel spin [on the freeway!], normally we don't up the power. :banana:

Damn man, that must be crazy fun to drive!
I wish I could get a ride in that thing.

Would you ever consider flipping your intake so you can ditch about a foot of tubing? I know it would look a bit odd but think about it.

I am by far no where near an expert when it comes to cars or turbos for the matter but I have a gut feeling that the air snaking around those bends may possibly cause some starvation to some of your cylinders.

Am I on to something or am I way off-I dont know so dont flame me. This is an honest question.
Also:
Why not run that combo until the engine blows up then drop the new one in?
And WE NEED VIDEOS!!!!
Congrats again man,
-fawcett

Thanks guys - flipping the intake is a major PITA on Gen 1's you almost need new rails to do it and this is a 'budget' (cough, cough, cough gagggg) project. We actually NEEDED the extra length of pipe to straighten out the area where the MAF is - very important on a blow through setup. The truck drives like stock.

My old Mustang that I gave to Rob is SICK. Scary fast and brutle. But, Rob can't drive a 5 speed as well as the old man can, and the old man will be in an auto truck, so the Lightning would be ahead most of the way, but Rob would fly by going 140+ at the end of the race.

Hissin - in our house we DO up the power, just get bigger tires... LOL!!
Don

wow, my neighbor has a white 1992 f-250, and it looks alot like that. it has 180,000 very hard miles on it, but it was still strong enough to tow my car up to pennsylvania to the guy who is puting my motor in.

it would have been alot more fun to tow it there in that lightning!

:nice:

Damn impressive Don. Who says you need a diesel to make torque like that!?!?

What MAF meter are you using and what size injectors? Also what size is the AR of the turbine side of the turbo, it seems to come on quick?

Damn impressive Don. Who says you need a diesel to make torque like that!?!?
What MAF meter are you using and what size injectors? Also what size is the AR of the turbine side of the turbo, it seems to come on quick?

Hey Paul - It's a custom made blow through MAF 3" tube we made with 90mm LMAF electronics with a Diablosport MAF.ia MAF extender. It has 42# injectors which are fine for now - we have a custom fuel system on it too. The stock Lightning FPR runs the FP at the industry std 43.5 rather than Ford's 39.5, so the 42's will act a bit bigger. But considering the A/F on the dyno was like 10.5, but on the street it's 11.2, I'm happy with them. I Think the turbo is a 0.96 A/R - I bought a new housing for it when it was rebuilt. The dynochart is a bit deceiving, because the dyno doesn't load the car like the street does, that's why we only saw 11# of boost - very typical for a turbo vehicle. It also has a small exhaust leak which slowed the boost building - but even with that, on the street, the way boost comes on is very close to my old Kenne Bell SC - instant. We've done two 351's with this turbo and they are a great match for mainly street vehicles.

The boost difference and A/F difference on the dyno vs. the street is a great example of why we always tune or even just check turbo vehicles on the street when we are tuning them. Had we adjusted the A/F based only on dyno info to 11.5, on the street it may have been too lean.

Wow Don!

First of all ... Good to see you prefer to hang with us the most :nice:

I have seen so many talk about how load is different between
the dyno and road but I believe this is the first hard data I've seen
showing the difference.

Thanks so much for that info as it is so helpful :hail2:

This chart plainly shows why, for quite some time now, I've placed
centri blowers dead last on my preferred power adder choice list.

Turbos :banana: They can be :crazy: efficient :nice:

Super work Don and thanks for sharing :D

Grady

The tranny is a "Monster Box" E4OD with a Factory Tech VB - and we worked over the VB a bit. We also played with a lot of the tranny settings in the tune. The converter is a stock Navigator converter - I was really surprised the converter clutch held, but it did just fine. On a Mustang the stock converter blows away at about 350 RW torque. Stall is whatever a Navigator is, naturally higher because of more torque. The truck isn't going to see much if any time on the track, it's a daily driver.

I took a video of the run on my stupid phone , but it deleted itself...

Not all turbo vehicle results will be the same - this combo is a good example of a turbo matched really well to a motor. The old Incon kits for 5.0's are also matched really well. You have to take the time to go over the compressor maps and try to match the engine air demand with the turbo at planned boost levels. We didn't choose it because we were so wise - we lucked into it. We first got this turbo from a GN person used for our 393 (at the time) Mustang. Well, we never put it on the Mustang, Rob, my son put it on his Gen 1 Lightning and it worked really well - we found the compressor map seemed to work well with the stockish 357 in the truck. He eventually lost oil pressure once at the track, had to rebuild the motor and trashed the turbo in the process. He went on to a GT76 turbo, which made good power but wasn't near as fun on the street as this turbo was. I spent a mere $750 to have the turbo rebuilt and am now using it.

We see the differences between street and dyno with turbo vehicles all the time, that's why it's so important to at least check the tune on the street.