Turbo Motor and T-5 Tranny

Dan P.

Founding Member
Apr 26, 2002
N.C.
Well I got around to taking some pics of the TC motor and Stang tranny that I bought earlier this summer. The motor is from an 86 TC with small VAM but 35lb injectors. The tranny was from an 88 2.3 Stang. It was a good buy at $150 for everything. I have the parts necessary for a T-5 swap and a turbo swap.

314319_200_full.jpg

314319_203_full.jpg

314319_202_full.jpg

314319_201_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

confused

Quick question...What is the wire on the top of the tranny for? I just did a t-5 swap in my 91 and I have 3 trannies for some future swaps. I am sure that 2 of them do not have this wire. I can't check the other because its dark and I already took off my shoes. I am not sure of the tranny that is still in the 86 turbo-bird.
Everything works on the last 2 swaps I did. Just wondering!!
Bruce
P.S. $150.00 for a turbo motor and tranny? I thought I did good with a $400
86 turbo-bird and $300 for 3 transmissions with everything except driveshafts.

im told that wire is a Neutral sensing switch, and is also a backup light switch on some cars. In my donor swap car it wasnt hooked up, there is no place to hook it up in my car either so i just snipped em and left em unhooked. they arent needed for anything.

Dr.

evintho said:
That motor looks pretty clean! Looks like it came with everything including the T3! How many miles on it? Any play in the turbo? For $150, you scored BIG TIME!!!

I was able to sweet talk the lady at the yard she gave me a good deal and I gave her a small tip. ($5) :D The motor had 200K on it when I pulled it so I am not sure how the inside looks, but yeah T-3 and everything came with it. There doesn’t seem to be any play at all in the shaft. I gave the motor a bath when I got it, just took it to a car wash when it was in the bed of my truck and washed some of the grime off of it. I hope it will be a good start on my project.

These motors last forever! 200k is alot, though. You could probably give it a seal-n-shine, drop it in and have a runner! To do it right though, you should tear it down and have the cylinders checked for out-of-round. You may have to get a clean-up bore. Try to stay at .010 or .020. If you have to bore it and spring for new pistions, you may as well recon the rods and turn the crank.

You probably know, the head is the biggest logjam on these motors. Spend the $$ and have it done right. Go with a free flowing 3" exhaust and FMIC. Then slap in a 5 point harness and a cage..........you're gonna need it!! :lol: :lol: :spot: