turbo wastegate question....

• Sponsors (?)

speaking of thinning out stuff...
Just make it adjustable by threading the rod and then screw it down until the preload is reduced...now it opens at less boost.

...um... that would make it open w/ less movement of the diaphram, but the diaphram will still require the same amount of boost to move it as it did before.

You guys... It requires a set amount to begin compressing the spring. Cutting the rod, threading the rod on both ends, adding the nut w/ opposing threads, to allow the wastegate flapper to have less pull against the diaphram, is not going to make the diaphram open any easier w/ less boost, it's just going to allow a less tight seal at the flapper.

say you hit a diaphram w/ 8 lbs of air w/ your air compressor it doesn't open it some, or slowly, it just sits there closed, UNTIL you raise the pressure the exact amount as required to overcome the spring.

If you adjust the flapper to have a tighter seal, and it's got a hard pull on the rod and the diaphram, the diaphram will still open w/ the same air pressure, it just won't open the wastegate as far as some of it's travel is already spent.

That's been my experience dabbling with them, checking the ones I have for leaks, and making a stock t3 diaphram that would fit my hybrid.

Willikers.

Guys, I don't like being at odds with anybody so I checked out some more information on this. Read some websites and such. I asked Mike Fleming of the SVOCA via pm and got the most real information. I like him because he has been involved with svo's since their inception, worked closely with the development team and was provided an SVO from Ford for testing/racing. He's pretty smart. As well, he has a long automotive pedigree w/ more impressive cars than the SVO's. I trust his knowledge.
He said in a nutshell any of the wastegates for the t-3's w/ adjustable arms are for any combination of differences from turbo to turbo and usually didn't come stock on any turbo. They are made to accomodate different housings and make them fit w/ one universal arm. What it's not made for is to use it as an adjustment for what psi is required to move the diaphram. He said it can do that marginally, but you open up other issues like boost creep, boost spike, increased turbo lag, wastegate flutter. All items that offer more negative side effects than positives from adjusting the arm.
-so that's what I learned.
You can buy a wastegate assembly adjustable at the diaphram, which uses an adjustment screw to set the psi level required to open the diaphram - set it for whatever level you want. And I think if you are real moderate you can do like Stinger said and get some adjustment, but what level of psi change you could get and if it would lower the boost needed to move the wastegate arm, it might be different wastegate to wastegate.
I hope you find that information useful.
Cougar, you were an excellent sidekick to Stinger throughout, but I don't think he requires one. If I ever need a sidekick though, I want him to be JUST LIKE YOU!

I guess we can call this a draw (just so you don't feel bad ;)). He concluded that you CAN use it to adjust for pressure (like this guy wanting to get it down to 6psi base instead of 8-9 like stock) by adjusting the arm. I would agree that it would cause problems if you tried to use it like a gillis valve and made huge changes in PSI (and therefore arm tension)...but that's not what we were talking about here.

Stinger

ok ;) (just so you don't feel bad) hmmm, 6 psi base? Don't see that above anywhere. But Mike noted about a 2 psi range is all one could expect without possible afore mentioned probs so that might be possible.

ok- thanks for all the input. Yes I want to run 6 or 7 psi. I was told that the stock boost level for the SVOs was 10 psi and i wanted to lower it. I not going to use an intercooler for low boost however I was told that if i keep the stock spring and use an intercooler, while the wastegate would open at 10psi, the manifold would only see about 7 psi going into the engine.

So i'll probably try to modify or buy an adjustable wastegate to drop it 2 psi or if that doesn't work, try the intercooler thing. Thanks again for all the help.