Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
MAINE
anyone use this before? Any good bad comments on it? I have a few scratches on the car, small light ones that wax wont cover up or fill in so I figured this might work. Found a brand new bottle of if while cleaning the garage, must have been someone else's that just left it here but its mine now. Anyway anyone have any info on it?

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah I know I hear about that stuff a lot but this stuff was free b/c I just found it in the garage. Free VS Paying for something else....Free is always the better choice. Its just one scratch I really want to get rid of on the front pumper cover

I thought rubbing compound was a little toooo rough

I'm personally a big fan of the Meguiars 1,2,3 system

1 is the paint cleaner / a lot like a clay bar in a bottle

but try this and you will see what I mean

rub some between your finger and thumb and see if you can feel the grit

its been a while since I tried it, but it might be too rough for this application

my .02

Its not gritty at all. Its white and has the consistency of wax but the bottle is labled as a rubbing compound.

001-16.jpg

View attachment 311680

Where'd you buy it? It's possible that you got a bad one. Contact Meguiars at this phone number and explain the problem, they will send you a new one free of charge. There was a batch of Scratch-X that was messed up. It's possible that you got one of the bad ones even though that was a few months ago.

1-800-347-5700

Where'd you buy it? It's possible that you got a bad one. Contact Meguiars at this phone number and explain the problem, they will send you a new one free of charge. There was a batch of Scratch-X that was messed up. It's possible that you got one of the bad ones even though that was a few months ago.

1-800-347-5700

Thanks I'll do that, I bought it at NAPA

a rubbing compund is more like a "polish" it will smooth out your surface when done properly you will need to wax over it, it is a multi step process to bring the color back. I would test it on somehting else to see how it works (junk yard car).

I just got some Lightning II polish and wax, and the polish felt very gritty. So I tried it on my dads old faded black plow truck and WOW it was amazing, i took out scratches and brought it back to black but let me tell you it was some harsh stuff very abrasive and almost like a super fine wet sanding. i wouldn't dare use it on a newer paint with out some professional detailer on stand by. but i did his fender and it went from cloudy gray to black in about 20 minutes.

I'm slllllightly biased, but I'm DEFINATELY a Meguiar's 1, 2, 3 man

this is my former Dodgr Ram show truck

except for the hood the rest of the paint is stock from the factory

this is an un-retouched photo (no photoshop enhancement, etc.)

RamManMeguair.jpg

it doesn't get much more glossy than this

and you have to get the dirt out of the paint (and it helps to be scratch / swirl free)

that Turtle wax may be fine stuff, so if you try it, take some before and after pics, and show us some results

I love Meguiars, but I'm not close minded enough to try new things from time to time

keep us posted

I don't doubt it - hey, I'm not saying Meguiars is THE only product, I'm just speaking from my experience

that's why I mentioned that I'm not close minded enough to try new things from time to time

;)

the wax debate is about as opinionated as the oil one

what do you like to use, Thumper ?

I use a lot of Meguiars stuff from their D-Line which is essentially a professional line-up of products. I also have a lot of Poorboy's, Merzena, Chemical Guy's, among other things. There are a lot of great products out there and you should really open up to new stuff to pick and choose what you like.

i hear Poorboy's is some good stuff, but xpensive, but apparently you need to be spending $35+ on wax if you want a decent long lasting finish that can stand up to a wash or two dozen.
Negative
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845
Harbor Freight now carries it, Collinite 845 can last 3-4 months before needing to be reapplied. Thin coats is recommended. You don't need to spend $$ there are products in the sub $25 that work well. You just need to find them and or know about them. It may not be the wettest, deepest, glossiest looking wax but it's one of a few carnauba based waxes that could put a lot of sealants to shame.