Twisted wedge. What cam?

Cobra4075

Founding Member
Feb 18, 2002
Tinley Park, IL
Found a used set of twisted wedge heads for my 91. Whats the largest lift and duration I can use with stock bottom end? I have a custom grind laying around that I used with my 94 cobra which had afr's. The cam specs are .532/.536 with duration of 223/233. Will I be able to use this cam or is it too big for those heads? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

First off do they have the duel valve springs? second do you still have the stock pistons. if so then the cam is to big unless you change the pistons or have them fly cut for the valves. i just did those head on my notch with the stock short block
and used trickflow stage one cam. Hope this helps.

The tfs 1 cam would be the best to use with them. I have a set that i just got back from the machine shop. If they are the street heat like i have. The only picked up 4 cfm after 500 lift. So going with a cam any bigger than that is just a waste.

The only picked up 4 cfm after 500 lift. So going with a cam any bigger than that is just a waste.

Someone must have screwed up your heads then, because that don`t hold true with mine.
When I changed from .520/ 224* to 550/232 i went from 12.08 to 11.68 and 2-3 mph.
And if thats only 4 cfm then:stupid:
But I do have that set of heads for sale.

Peak lift only occurs for a tiny fraction in time. It is that period (dwell) just before and after the peak lift that is important in comparison to cylinder head flow. Therefore (for example), if a cylinder head has a good port shape and flow at .500", why not have a lobe profile x 1.60" that exceeds .500" lift so that the cylinder can take advantage of that .500" point.

Peak lift occurs at ONE point (ex. .500"), but .499" and below is hit twice. Does that make sense on why one may have higher lift than what a cylinder head can flow?

Duration is a sign of how spread the individual timing events are. Do not concentrate on a .050" duration number alone.

Peak lift has NOTHING to do with piston to valve clearance problems. It is the period of overlap.