Typhoon Intake Manifold

Dusstbuster

I love meat more than anything! I just have a spec
May 31, 2004
Moorhead, Minnesota
Well I have some money laying around and not enough to do any BIG mods so I was thinking of doing, after the gears are installed, a PI intake manifold and cams. I'm throwing around the idea of buying one of those typhoon manifolds that nobody seems to really know much about...

I was originally going to be buying a different winter car but that fell through so now the 1500 I was goign to spend on that will probably go to the cams/manifold......so why not waste a couple hundred more to get a 100% metal manifold. Any thoughts on this? Has there yet to be a dyno-proven gain on these over a stock PI manifold (and therefore VERY NICE gains over stock NPI manifold)? Is this a waste of money or could it be used to provide some good info on the manifolds gains?

My main concern is fitment on NPI heads, i'm assuming it should involve the same setbacks as a regular plastic PI manifold though.

• Sponsors (?)

Maza4ever14 said:
get some better heads

Not gunna do heads. I'm not planning on making the car anything super sick or whatever. I plan on having it boosted some day so the 10+ C/R a headswap would give would limit my PSI + the fact that it is my DD in the summer and the winter car can't be driven in the summer due to its limited remaining life span. Really the only things I plan on doing are maybe a vortech/small custom turbo setup/FRPP roots blower some day in the distant future and for now gears/cams/intake manifold/full exhaust/tune.

Maza4ever14 said:
get some better heads

oh the uninformed :rolleyes:

buy a PI manifold and PI cams, thats good for ~30hp gain. The major restrictions in the NPI 4.6 are the cams and intake, the heads themselves are not that bad at all, plus they have a lot of porting potential.

Dussbuster, the Typhoon intake is a piece of trash, it didn't make any gains on a blown car so it sure as hell won't do anything for a relatively stock N/A 4.6. Plus w/ the metal intake you have to factor in heat soak which is really going to hurt your power unless you ice the intake. Fitting a PI intake on NPI heads is very easy to do... use PI manifold gaskets and a dab of RTV to seal the ungasketed coolant ports on each head, and pop the intake on.

edit - i see you are planning on boosting some day. All the more reason to do PI cams/intake now, when you s/c your car you will make number that are close to that of the same set up on a PI engine.

stangGT97 said:
oh the uninformed :rolleyes:

buy a PI manifold and PI cams, thats good for ~30hp gain. The major restrictions in the NPI 4.6 are the cams and intake, the heads themselves are not that bad at all, plus they have a lot of porting potential.

Dussbuster, the Typhoon intake is a piece of trash, it didn't make any gains on a blown car so it sure as hell won't do anything for a relatively stock N/A 4.6. Plus w/ the metal intake you have to factor in heat soak which is really going to hurt your power unless you ice the intake. Fitting a PI intake on NPI heads is very easy to do... use PI manifold gaskets and a dab of RTV to seal the ungasketed coolant ports on each head, and pop the intake on.

edit - i see you are planning on boosting some day. All the more reason to do PI cams/intake now, when you s/c your car you will make number that are close to that of the same set up on a PI engine.

I agree with stangGT97, just use the PI intake with some PI cams. Or spend the same amount of money(550.00) and get some 268H cams. That will put you over a PI swapped or 99+ Mustang.

The Typhoon is not what everyone expected, and we waited a long time for it to come out. What a shame.