Uh-oh, got the p/s pulley on backwards

CManT1914

Feb 5, 2004
Killeen, Texas
I accidentally put the power steering pump pulley on backwards, and now need to take it off (obviously :rolleyes: ) to reverse it. Any easy way without using that tool you can rent? We already took it back, and it won't work with the pulley on backwards anyway.

• Sponsors (?)

WOW. Your screwed.

No, I am pretty sure with a three prong puller you can get it off. Might take some doing, but I think it is possible.

You workin on the car tired man? I have done some odd things myself.

Good luck with that. Hope you get it figured out.....

LoudToy958 said:
WOW. Your screwed.

No, I am pretty sure with a three prong puller you can get it off. Might take some doing, but I think it is possible.

You workin on the car tired man? I have done some odd things myself.

Good luck with that. Hope you get it figured out.....

You talking about one of those gear pullers or whatever they sell at parts stores and sears and crap?

I've been working on my car for 17 hours straight today. :(

CManT1914 said:
I've been working on my car for 17 hours straight today. :(

Now that's faithful. She'll be good to you in the end....

Dude, I'd just get some rest..... then go rent it again tomorrow or whenever you can get started back. Maybe with rest, you won't put it on backwards! :D J/K.

SeventyMach1 said:
Now that's faithful. She'll be good to you in the end....

Dude, I'd just get some rest..... then go rent it again tomorrow or whenever you can get started back. Maybe with rest, you won't put it on backwards! :D J/K.

She'd better be with the s h i t I'm putting up with. I STILL can't get the freaking rockers adjusted right. I've tried like 6 times, I don't know if I'm just not doing it right or what. :shrug:

I'm going to sleep, I can't function right now. I just got done "adjusting" the rockers, turned the motor half over, and half of them were loose AGAIN!! :mad: :bang: :damnit: :fuss: :nonono: :notnice:

The jaw puller Shane mentioned was my first thought too (he is putting an end to all threads tonight. The BBK/Edelbrock thread ended after his all-knowing post. :hail2: ).

Chris, it seems like you really flew through this install. Nice work!

A couple of thoughts about your little snafoo.

I've seen some say they hosed up their pulley with a 3 jaw puller thinking they had the correct puller but you got to get it off anyway.

Main thing I'd be careful about is not to hose up the threads on the pump shaft in the process of getting the pulley off.

Good luck Chris and I hope you've been having some fun!!!

Later
Grady

CManT1914 said:
She'd better be with the s h i t I'm putting up with. I STILL can't get the freaking rockers adjusted right. I've tried like 6 times, I don't know if I'm just not doing it right or what. :shrug:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought I was going insane when I was doin mine the first time just remember loose is better than to tight cause you can always readjust them once you get everything else running the clacking will just be annoying.

I'll try and get my pops to run by sears today and get me a gear puller, then I'll try to get that pulley off. Good thing is, that can at least be the last thing to do, it's not critical in putting the motor back together.

Well I'm starting again now, I got to sleep at 3 am last night (this morning i guess, lol) so i'm working on 6 hours of sleep, and am going into my 24th hour of work!

Lemme try and get this damn lash set....

CManT1914 said:
I'll try and get my pops to run by sears today and get me a gear puller, then I'll try to get that pulley off. Good thing is, that can at least be the last thing to do, it's not critical in putting the motor back together.

Well I'm starting again now, I got to sleep at 3 am last night (this morning i guess, lol) so i'm working on 6 hours of sleep, and am going into my 24th hour of work!

Lemme try and get this damn lash set....

I know how you feel. I just got all my parts back from the chromer, and all the rest from the powdercoater.

I got the whole car back together after 11 hours, of course things didn't go perfect, then I found that the chromer didn't give me my alternator pulley. I went the next day to get it, and it wasn't chrome. I said screw it. I put it on painted for now. I drove the car for about 15 minutes, got some fuel, was on my way back to garage, and pop - my volts dropped from 14+ to 12. Alternator smoked.

You'll get there. At least we can see your dedicated. As stated above, be careful not to strip the threads on the PS pump. Maybe thread a bolt in there, and then use the puller. Good luck man. I am sure you'll get it. Then some pics please.....

JT - Only reason I knew about the BBK ordeal was becuase I toured the Edelbrock facility. I saw a lot of BBK logos all over the history wall, and just had to ask why. Edelbrock doesn't even build their own carbs in house. They just machine the parts. They do however build some amazing shocks/struts. I wonder if anyone has ever used them here......

Well, I'm gonna run to Sears in a little while and get a puller (one of those 3 prong gear pullers) and try that. I've had several people (including one that is a master mechanic) tell me that should work. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Shane, FWIW, some BBK fuel pumps say Walbro on the side. If I was Patrick, we would call the stuff Bbedelbroq (Bapples reference). :D

Chris, I still say that is an impressive thrash you made, esp in the heat of late. I know I am good in spurts, but efficiency goes down after a couple hours in this heat. I am getting old though too. :D

Good luck.

Well I went and bought a gear puller, and it promptly bent the pulley. :damnit:

So my pops took the whole pump (that's right, I have no power steering right now :( ) to a machine shop, and they said it would be easier and cheaper to buy a new pump.

Bought a new pump, but it didn't come with a pulley. :bang: So I went to Ford, and the earliest they can get it here is tomorrow morning, otherwise it might take up to a week. :fuss:

But my car runs. :shrug:

chris, sorry to hear about your string of misfortune man. just think about what your car will be like when youre all done and the satisfaction you'll feel. keep your eyes on the prize!

Edit:and i'll see you on fri. hopefully you'll be done by then so i can get a ride in Savannah :D

DerekStangGT said:
chris, sorry to hear about your string of misfortune man. just think about what your car will be like when youre all done and the satisfaction you'll feel. keep your eyes on the prize!

Edit:and i'll see you on fri. hopefully you'll be done by then so i can get a ride in Savannah :D

Yea it should be done. I need to pull the valve covers again and reset the lash one more time, and even if I don't have p/s, I'll still be driving it this weekend! :banana:

CManT1914 said:
and even if I don't have p/s, I'll still be driving it this weekend! :banana:
thats what i like to hear! plus you get a nice workout :D not sure on your 5.0, but on mine, my brake booster works along w/ the P/S pump, so it would suck for me to not have power steering. :rolleyes:

Chris, sorry to hear about that. FWIW, Napa sells PS pulleys for foxes. not sure about an SN though.

Good luck and nice work (I still think you made good time on this one). Impressive. :nice:

ExplodingGopher said:
I know this thread is old, but funy story, just tonight i too bent my p/s pulley with my 3 prong puller, GD it i hate when **** like this happens. I'm so close to getting the 466 running and now this. I guess i'll go to NAPA and see if they got one, or just run w/o powersteering for a weekend.
Yet another good reason to use the puller that works the way Ford intended -- pulls from the hub. Of course, that doesn't help when the pulley is on backwards... :lol:

That was a funny story to read ... 'cause I know exactly how that feels. Nothing going right, and you end up spending money every time you turn around trying to get it fixed back up.