Underdrive pulleys!?!?!

05 GT Stang

Apr 6, 2005
I recently installed the Steeda Underdrive pulleys and now of course:bang: , i'm seeing some posts about them causing oil pump and/or altenator failure!!! Am i overly concerned or are these just some random cases?? Has anyone here had either of the two fail because of the UDP?

• Sponsors (?)

Ran UDPs on my '96 Cobra for a long time with no ill effects. Don't see why a '05-06 GT should be any different. Had the dealer install them, no problems.

I've NEVER heard ANYONE having ANY kind of mechanical failures directly related to the install of UD pullies.

Some folks running mega watt stereo systems MAY have some battery charging issues at idle. Not alternator failures.

Improper crank/balance pully install can result in crankshaft damage, but dang you got to be blind not to see the thing wobbling when you start the car!

The crank threads can also be damaged on install if not done properly.

Basically anything can be mechanically damaged when done wrong.
Install them right and they work fine.
I have 25k miles on my Steeda pullies. No problems.

And I do not buy pullies installed properly causing oil pumps to fail.:notnice:

Thats my nickles worth.

05 GT Stang said:
thanks guys! I thought those claims of alt & oil pump failures were nothing but BS :cool:

I hope you are right. However, there are at least a couple of '03/'04 Mach 1 owners who are not so convinced. The reason us '05 up GT owners might be concerned is our bottom ends are basically the same as those on the Mach 1s.

A Mach 1 owner told me several people have had oil pump failures immediately or shortly after installation of aftermarket underdrive pullies. Perhaps some '05 up GT owners on here can post up their experiences and hopefully let all of us know which aftermarket pullies are "safe."

White05GT said:
I hope you are right. However, there are at least a couple of '03/'04 Mach 1 owners who are not so convinced. The reason us '05 up GT owners might be concerned is our bottom ends are basically the same as those on the Mach 1s.

A Mach 1 owner told me several people have had oil pump failures immediately or shortly after installation of aftermarket underdrive pullies. Perhaps some '05 up GT owners on here can post up their experiences and hopefully let all of us know which aftermarket pullies are "safe."
how is the oil pump related to the u/d pullies? where is the mechanical connection? the oil pump does not attach to the pullies.

anthony05gt said:
I'm with ya on that!
Both Anthony05Gt and BigCat are correct..I checked with the same technician, that works on my 05gt at my local Ford Dealer, and he confirms that the crankshaft in the 05 Mustangs and up, are not physically attached to the oilpumps, nor are driven by the crank, as were previous Mustangs, prior to 04 and down..So you have nothing to worry about as far as ud pullies causing any type of damage to the oilpump, However he did also mention that if you're concerned about increased water temps or any detionation issues, due to decreased water flow, from the water pump pully..then install a 180 degree thermostat, but don't go any lower than that, otherwise, you're engine will run too rich. or may go into safe mode..Hope this helps you out :nice:

bigcat said:
how is the oil pump related to the u/d pullies? where is the mechanical connection? the oil pump does not attach to the pullies.

From my understanding, the oil pump attaches to the crankshaft behind the chains. Forgive me, but I'm a lot more familiar with pushrod engines.

I've gleaned from the threads posted on the Mach1Resgistry, that a lighter (underdrive) crank pulley supposedly does not dampen harmonics like the factory crank pulley does -- these harmonics are the alleged cause of the oil pump gears failing. I hope us '05 up GT owners got better oil pump gears than the '03/'04 Mach1s received.

Here's a pic from a thread on the Mach1Registry:
36573.jpg

White05GT said:
From my understanding, the oil pump attaches to the crankshaft behind the chains. Forgive me, but I'm a lot more familiar with pushrod engines.

I've gleaned from the threads posted on the Mach1Resgistry, that a lighter (underdrive) crank pulley supposedly does not dampen harmonics like the factory crank pulley does -- these harmonics are the alleged cause of the oil pump gears failing. I hope us '05 up GT owners got better oil pump gears than the '03/'04 Mach1s received.

Here's a pic from a thread on the Mach1Registry:
36573.jpg
Both Roush and Steeda pulleys, are considered safe and are also direct OEM replacements, you can also order the Roush UD pulleys directly from the Ford accessories website, here's the link.. http://www.fordaccessories.com/prod...ystem/RoushMustangUnderdrivePulleySystem.aspx