Underdrive Pullies

Went out to instal my pullies today... would not expect it to be such a pain... i absolutely cannot get the alternator nut to break loose... any help???? I got the water pump and crank right off no problem... but the alt. will not break loose... and also... the new pullies look nothing like the pullies i pulled off... is that normal??? I got them brand new from summit... they've never sent me a wrong part before

• Sponsors (?)

You really don't want to use the alternator pulley unless it is smaller than the stock one.
You could have charging issues at idle.
I use the UD crank pulley with a 1 7/8 alternator pulley and the Cobra water pump pulley.

i took the nut off with the alt. on and belt on and came right off and put a march pulley on it. bad idea had charging issues becuase the pulley is like 3.25 inches dia. so i put the stock smaller one back on. then upgraded to a 6G 130amp alt.

I would keep the stock alternator pulley, my charging drops at idle with the underdrive one. Not to steal the thread, but can that cause any problems with anything. It drops to the bottom line on the stock gauge with the a/c and stuff on.

I've been running FMS underdrive pulleys for over two years now with zero charging issues. I also have the stock 75amp alternator which is 16 years old. The amps do drop a bit at idle with the headlights, heat, etc. on, but it never goes out of the normal range. Just lucky I guess... I would install the alt. pulley just for ha-ha's. You can always swap the stocker back on if you have any issues. Good luck!

they are a nice addition for the $79 they are. you will not be like "oh s h i t", but you will be like, "yeah, there is a bit more HP there."

on the nut topic: take it to advance auto, ask them for a favor, tell them what you need, throw the guy $5 for the 3 mintues it will take him. We used to do favors like that alot.

I just bought a set of ProForm underdrive pullies for mine on ebay for $80. Theyre also blue.

Do I need a different belt or can I use the same one? I know on a '00 GT you use the original belt but Im not sure about my '92 5.0.

I have underdrive pulli,s on 2 mustangs and NO charging problems with stock alt, I took the alt to a garage and had them impact off the alt nut, also the stock belt still works, Im talking from exp

If you use all 3 pullies then you shouldn't need a new belt.

When i did my pullies, i installed a ASP 1 7/8 OVERDRIVE alt pulley to compensate. No charging problems at all with the pullies and the O/D alt pulley. I could have used the stock pulley, but for $20 the ASP pulley was slightly smaller and more importantly looked better.

You can get the pulley off at home if you don't want to impact it off. WHat i do is use a small oil filter wrench. Wrap an old belt around the pulley and then grab it with the oil filter wrench. The tigher you pull the better it grabs. Then put a socket on the nut and give it a swift hard blow with a hammer to "impact" it off. QUick hits on the racket/wrench are better for breaking bolts loose then just trying to muscle them. That's how impact guns work.