Understeer at speed?

Cary Ford

May 6, 2007
I've been driving a rental 07 V6 around. (it has spurred my interest in getting a GT). I've noticed a pronounced understeer at higher speeds, handling long curves at the edges. Do you guys notice this on your GT's? I've also read about this being a typical characteristic of this car's handling.

Curious as to what suspension mods could correct this, if any?

• Sponsors (?)

My GT does'nt have understeer. In fact the ammount of front end grip
the car has impressed me at first. I consider the car to have a tad of oversteer.

The best way that I found on handle this under steer problem is that I install the steeda springs on the front and rear and the FRPP tower brace

My GT does'nt have understeer. In fact the ammount of front end grip
the car has impressed me at first. I consider the car to have a tad of oversteer.

I couldn't disagree more. The only way I can get oversteer is to jerk the car into it (sudden steering and throttle input), if I try to take a smooth line and find the limit, my front end gives up first every time. I really, really want to get a full suspension kit, just need to find the $$$.

The way Ford's alignment specs are set up, they have a wide range of acceptable numbers. So you can have a factory alignment that's acceptable by Ford but it definitely won't be as good as it could be. This also means that someone else's car can drive better than your car since their alignment is better for handling.

Also check your tire pressures. Dealer had my car's tires set to 50 psi :rolleyes:

Find a good alignment tech who knows suspensions. Amazing what a good alignment tech can do.

These cars, as is the case with almost every factory built car, has slight understeer intentionally built in. An alignment can help. More negative camber will reduce understeer but of course running this all the time will affect tire wear also.
You can also reduce understeer with antiroll bars, shock/strut changes,tire widths, tire pressures,ect. Your driving style may also be a factor. Are you on the throttle hard when the understeer occurs? If so,some of the problem is that you've transfered weight off the front tires thereby reducing their traction

The GT has a slightly stiffer suspension and is more tuned for high performance driving than the V6. Is your rental a "pony package" V6? If not, then it came without a rear antiroll bar which makes the understeer even worse. Mostly due to the tires, the GT also has a higher limit so getting in a GT may cure your problem just by raising the car's capabilities above what you're asking of it.

The real question, though, is not how to reduce your problem. The real question is; Are you routinely pushing the car close enough to it's limit to experience understeer on the street? That's just plain scary. I suggest you first find a racetrack and join the track club. Otherwise, the easiest way to reduce understeer is to slow down.

As to me, I don't push it on the street other than the occasional off-ramp where I have some room and a lack of other vehicles to contend with. The very last thing I want to do is push it in a situation where if I get it wrong, I am risking other people as well as myself. I do plan on doing some autocross this summer, which leads me to my question. Since I am bone stock and am leaving my car that way for the time being, what is you recomendation to tweak the car within the limits of the stock class rules for autocross? I'm thinking I need to play with my tire pressures for sure, but I really don't know where to go with that. FYI, I have the 18" factory wheels with 235/50 BFG KDWS.