V6 - V8

masterflex

Aug 21, 2008
V6-vs-V8

I have a 99 with a 3.8 5 speed manual shift, all factory. I want to put a 1985 302cid. carburated in it. Do I need to swap the trans.? Will my cuurrent bellhousing bolt to the 302 ? & flywheel ? Any advice greatly appreciated .

• Sponsors (?)

Do a search on here, there have been so many threads and posts on this issue. Just so you know, its probably more work than you want to do. You have to switch out everything from motor, trans, rear end, and many things you probably haven't thought of.

I have a 99 with a 3.8 5 speed manual shift, all factory. I want to put a 1985 302cid. carburated in it. Do I need to swap the trans.? Will my cuurrent bellhousing bolt to the 302 ? & flywheel ? Any advice greatly appreciated .

Unsure if the 3.8L and 5.0 share the same bolt pattern. I know 94-95 5.0's and 3.8's have different bellhousings, so you may have to pick up a 94-95 5.0 t-5 bellhousing. The t-5 from your car is actually rated at 300 ft-lbs which is stronger than the T-5 availble in 1985.

Don't use the 1985 flywheel. It's a 10" flywheel. You'll want an 87-95 5.0 flywheel and a 10.5 clutch.

You'll also need to revamp the fuel system to a carb-style setup, change the fuel pump to a lower volumn pump, run new fuel lines and bypass the PATS system i beleive in order to start the car with much of the EFI engine harness removed.

Hopefully you can handle such a project

Unsure if the 3.8L and 5.0 share the same bolt pattern. I know 94-95 5.0's and 3.8's have different bellhousings, so you may have to pick up a 94-95 5.0 t-5 bellhousing. The t-5 from your car is actually rated at 300 ft-lbs which is stronger than the T-5 availble in 1985.

Don't use the 1985 flywheel. It's a 10" flywheel. You'll want an 87-95 5.0 flywheel and a 10.5 clutch.

You'll also need to revamp the fuel system to a carb-style setup, change the fuel pump to a lower volumn pump, run new fuel lines and bypass the PATS system i beleive in order to start the car with much of the EFI engine harness removed.

Hopefully you can handle such a project

thank you for the replay ! now I at least have a direction to pursue. ? will a T45 trans. work ?