vaccum line question

superspec

Aug 14, 2006
theres is a vaccum line coming from the bottom of the intake going to the right front frame to some box. what is that line for? after pulling the upper intake and not knowing that vaccum line was there it tore. i replaced it with some randome hose that fit but the hose isnt rdgid enough and is collapsing. just trying to figure out what the hose is to determine if it will hurt to drive the car the 10 miles to get another hose.

• Sponsors (?)

theres is a vaccum line coming from the bottom of the intake going to the right front frame to some box. what is that line for? after pulling the upper intake and not knowing that vaccum line was there it tore. i replaced it with some randome hose that fit but the hose isnt rdgid enough and is collapsing. just trying to figure out what the hose is to determine if it will hurt to drive the car the 10 miles to get another hose.

that hose goes to the fuel vapor canister (charcoal canister). there is a line that gores from that canister back to your fuel tank for ventilation. Yeah, just get some vacuum hose from napa auto parts. they have every size hose and you can cut whatever length you need. I think i actually got fuel hose from napa. If thats your only means of commuting, i wouldnt worry about it and drive the 10 miles so you can get the part.

trace the lines too

there is a soft line..a rubber line that connects the two hard lines under the car pass side towards the rear wheel. that line can rot away, and the fumes will exit there too

Charcoal canister plumbing - one 3/8" tube from the bottom of the upper manifold to the rubber hose. Rubber hose connects to one side of the canister solenoid valve. Other side of the solenoid valve connects to one side of the canister. The other side of the canister connects to a rubber hose that connects to a line that goes all the way back to the gas tank. There is an electrical connector coming from the passenger side injector harness near #1 injector that plugs into the canister solenoid valve. It's purpose is to vent the gas tank. The solenoid valve opens at cruse to provide some extra fuel. The canister is normally mounted on the passenger side frame rail near the smog pump pulley.

attachment.php

The purge valve solenoid connector is a dangling wire that is near the ECT sensor and oil filler on the passenger side rocker cover. The actual solenoid valve is down next to the carbon canister. There is about 12"-16" of wire that runs parallel to the canister vent hose that comes off the bottom side of the upper intake manifold. That hose connects one port of the solenoid valve; the other port connects to the carbon canister.
Purge valve solenoid:

The carbon canister is normally mounted on the passenger side frame rail near the smog pump pulley.
Carbon Canister:
LRS-9653B.jpg