Vacuum line schematic/pics

While peeking under the hood of my '93 5.0 to see how to proceed in the smog pump removal, I noticed that one of my vacuum lines was disconnected and some were broken. I think this may be the reason my check engine light has been turning on and off, and why I have a crappy idle. I have a few questions:

The 1 black and 1 white vacuum lines running from the smog pump hose go to a little black plastic thing which connects 4 vacuum lines together with one empty space and snaps on to another black plastic thing, also with 4 lines and an empty space. The line running to the throttle body is broken, and I noticed it is very stiff and brittle too. Does ford sell a replacement for this 4 line plastic piece? And is there supposed to be one empty hole for a vacuum line on the black plastic thing?

Also, there is another vacuum line, a long black one with an L shaped boot on the end of it, that I found disconnected. It is not the black vac line that connects to the smog pump hose. It appears to have been disconnected for as long as I've owned the car. With the engine running, it sucks in air. I have no idea where it goes and I can't find a place for it. Can anybody run to their car and take pictures of where this vacuum line goes, or give me a good schematic? I saw another schematic, but was very technical and had a lot of acronyms that I didn't understand. It didn't help much. A picture would be great!

Any and all help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

yea, that would definetily give ya some idle probs, and possibly the engine light. i'm sure ford sells them but at a hefty price like they usually do. the one vacuum line sounds like the one from the upper intake to the fpr. one runs from the 4 line connector to the egr, one runs to a/c I think ( don't have a/c anymore), one runs to smog, and the other one runs to the upper plenum as well. the upper plenum has two smal lines and one big one in the middle on the backside (firewall side). the two lines i were talking about going to the plenum are the smaller ones.

Edit: comes from intake manifold

I do have a Haynes manual. Doesn't say anything about them. I peeked under the hood of an '89 GT and it was different than my car. I think they changed them after '89.

Yes, it does come from the intake manifold!

It starts out black and about 2 feet long and comes out of the upper intake manifold. It goes to the 5 line connector that connects other colored vacuum lines together. Once it gets to the connector, the line turns red and runs about 8 inches to what looks like a valve of some sort. The only line coming out of the valve is black and about a foot and a half long, and has an L shaped boot, leading me to believe it plugs into something important.

Any ideas based on this? Can someone with an 89+ 5.0 please follow the black vacuum line coming out of the upper intake?

When the engine runs, it sucks in air, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Find a screw or small bolt that fits tightly in that line and plug it. It will idle better and run better without the vacuum leak. It may not be important at all. And if it is for the vac. resivoir, that thing just stores up vacuum for those high demand times that the motor is not putting out enough to keep the accesories going. Its not really needed, especially if you dont run AC.

You should buy a vacuum guage and hook it up to manifold vacuum. This will tell you if you have any other leaks.

It's not the resevoir in the fenderwall, that's for the AC and it is hooked up. I know for sure my unplugged vacuum line goes to the "vacuum resevoir" but not the one in the fender for AC. I just can't find this "vacuum resevoir." It's in the diagram that TMoss made.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88Stang5.0Vacuum.gif

I searched on corral.net and other people have asked the same question I have but got no response. I guess it's a mystery to everyone.