Vacuum Probs???

PonyBoy84

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
IL
I finally checked the vacuum on the 91 today. Coming off the tree, the vacuum seems low. I guess it should be in the 17-20 range, but it's more like 10-15 at idle. It is also not smooth and fluctuates a lot at idle.

When I give it gas, it drops then climbs back up to about 15 then shoots up to around 20 when I let off the gas (except for being low, I think this is normal. right?)

What would cause the low, sputtery vacuum at idle?
I think this may be the cause of the lack of power I've been having. The vacuum at the trans seems about the same as directly off of the tree so I think the trans vacuum hose is okay.
By the way, it does not idle smoothly either. Also, when I floor the gas pedal from a dead stop (to lock up the torque converter) the car just bogs down and crawls along.

• Sponsors (?)

PonyBoy84 said:
I finally checked the vacuum on the 91 today. Coming off the tree, the vacuum seems low. I guess it should be in the 17-20 range, but it's more like 10-15 at idle. It is also not smooth and fluctuates a lot at idle.

When I give it gas, it drops then climbs back up to about 15 then shoots up to around 20 when I let off the gas (except for being low, I think this is normal. right?)

What would cause the low, sputtery vacuum at idle?
I think this may be the cause of the lack of power I've been having. The vacuum at the trans seems about the same as directly off of the tree so I think the trans vacuum hose is okay.
By the way, it does not idle smoothly either. Also, when I floor the gas pedal from a dead stop (to lock up the torque converter) the car just bogs down and crawls along.

You can spray something around any suspected leaking area if there is a leak it will suck in the mist from the spray(WD-40) You could also you an auto stethoscope and listen for any leaks. If you don't find any leaks in the engine compartment check your heater controls. Amanda's car has a small leak in the vacuum control lines.