Valve Locks -.05 ????

I needed some valve locks for my AFR #1450 SBF 2.08/1.6 heads. AFR told me I needed a standard 11/32 chromemoly 10 degree single groove lock. Seeing as I needed them right away I ordered from Summit, the Trick Flow TFS-52400445.

Trick Flow Specialties TFS-52400445 - Trick Flow® Valve Locks - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I didn't see anything on the description page but when the order arrived the locks are -.05 which moves the groove up that much.

How does this change anything? Are these safe to use? Help?

• Sponsors (?)

It will raise the installed height, so the AFR which have about a 1.80" installed height will now have a 1.85" height...this will effect your spring pressures (lower them) and increase the coil bind . You could add a .050" shim underneath to get it back where you need or swap out the locks....

I beleive the standard ones are 52400444

Thanks for the reply Rick. All I need one was one lock, broke the groove off one taking the valves out. So when I ordered a few new valves, I tell AFR I need one lock......what doesn't come? My one lock, so now I drive two hours to the border to get my summit order to find out that I received -.05 locks!

And you are right those keepers look like the ones I have (steel) so I'm not sure why AFR told me chromemoly??

I'm going to lose my mind! All I need is one damn lock!

what do you think - the AFR springs (these are not new) are apparently rated to .700 max lift, I'm going to be using the comp cams xe282 (282/290 232/240 .565/.574 on a 112)

Just get new locks or am I ok with these TFS ones?

Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.

I called Summit and they hooked me up with TFS-52400444 which are the standard 11/32 10* locks. They are hardened steel and look identical to what I have already. Not sure why AFR told me to get chromemoly ones? It's possible that these being a few years old that have since revised and upgraded the hardware?

Thanks for your help Rick before I screwed myself by installing the ones I have!