Valve Train Noise Problem (Long)

wido78

Founding Member
Jan 24, 2002
Olathe, Ks
First of all, thanks for taking time to read this, as I am getting very frustrated...

I was preparing to put my car on the trailer for FFW this week and noticed some "clicking" coming from the engine bay. So, I looked around and "felt" around with my stethoscope (sp) and could hear the noise really bad under each valve cover and in the upper intake (loudest). The noise was a very quick and rythmic clicking, that increases with RPMs. At first I thought I had a couple of loose rockers or something, so I started checking for those to no avail... I then started looking at the rockers themselves and noticed that they were a little "far down" on from the center of the spring. After having someone else (mechanic) look at it, he thought I might have a push rod that was a little too long. Without the ability to really measure (although these are what the engine builder told me to buy...) I spoke to TFS and they tended to agree. So...I ordered a couple of shorter sets and put them in the car.

After setting the valve lash, I started the car back up and the noise was still there... I then decided to adjust the lash with the valve covers off and the car running. I was able to eliminate the noise from the passenger side, but not the driver's side. The noise doesn't seem to get quieter or louder when I make any adjustments on the driver's side.

Do you have any suggestions? I currently have the following setup:

331 Stroker w/ 19CC Dish Pistons
Trick Flow TW Heads
FMS X303 Cam - .542 Lift
6.75 Hardened Push Rods (previously had 6.85)
TFS 1.6 Stud Mount Roller Rockers

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Chris.

• Sponsors (?)