valves question

bart

May 16, 2003
tn
ok i have a stock bottom end, its got the hyputectic pistons in it, i think there is 4 valve relief cuts in them. anyways, i got offered some edelbrock performers tonight for a price that i cant pass, however i forgot to ask if they were 1.90 or 2.02 valves. so......ive got an e-cam in this motor. assuming the worst, if they are 2.02's will i have any clearence problems? they are stud mount rockers also, which he sed came with em, forgot to ask what size they were also......but if i had to guess id say 1.7s. am i gonna have any problems? and what could i do to fix it?

• Sponsors (?)

If your car is a pre 93 5.0 then it has forged pistons in it.
I know for sure the 87-92 had forged pistons. Not sure about pre 87. Anyway your rockers will not pose a threat to your pistons....its the duration of your cam that will. As far as your pistons and the performers go i am not quite sure about the size valve the pistons will accept but i am sure that stock pistons are OK with 1.90. Friend of mine has performers on his stock bottom 5.0 with no problems. As far as the 2.02s go i am sure someone will reply here and let you know. But your pistons are forged if it is a pre 93 for sure....unless it has been rebuilt.

96 explorer motor is non forged but has reliefs. the performers are 1.90/1.60 valves, so you'll be fine with the e303. your problem is going to be you said you ordered the stud mount heads yet your factory rockers are pedestal mount, so you will have to buy a new set of stud mount rockers. and the studs on the performer heads are 3/8" studs.