Very Disappointed in SVT Quality

foxcobra

May 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
OK, I recently purchaced a 1999 cobra, bone stock. Fantastic shape. no chips in paint, clean title, babied from day 1. My question to all off you is has anyone replaced an A/C compressor, Clutch, Power Rack and pinion, P/S pump with hoses and Radiator all before 50k miles? Is this normal for mustangs of this year? is it a fluke? can I expect the flag ship mustang to go strait down the toilet soon.

• Sponsors (?)

that is a lot of stuff to replace before 50k, and no that is not normal. pump and rack and lines are all related, and it probally did not need all of that. many techs like to replace everything in the power steering when one item goes, they do this because of fluid contamination, I just flush the lines out really well

it probally did not need a compressor, usually the clutch is what seizes on these cars, it usually happens becuase the owner did not use the A/c often. The radiator could have went for many reasons.. where was this car located before you bought it?

If it was in a cold climate we have seen many of the plastic sides of the radiators crack and leak there.

So I don't think your car is a lemon, I think you had a abnormal problame with a rack or a pump leak and then had a tech who likes to replace everything work on it. same with the a/c stuff

Garage kept, Owned by a 63yr old, The pump, hoses and rack WERE all leaking. not some idiot who takes a techs word for anything. in fact i avoid them like they have the plague. And the A/C compress had that floresent dye all over it ( leaking! )

foxcobra said:
Garage kept, Owned by a 63yr old, The pump, hoses and rack WERE all leaking. not some idiot who takes a techs word for anything. in fact i avoid them like they have the plague. And the A/C compress had that floresent dye all over it ( leaking! )

did you see the leaks yourself? it's very rare in fact I have never seen a car have all the hoses the pump and rack all leaking at the same time..

yeah sounds like the front seal on the compressor went bad, why did you need the feild/ clutch and pulley, that stuff has nothing to do with the seal and could have been reused.

well anyways I don't think your car is a lemon.. it's 7 years old... 7 year old cars will need work no matter what the mileage is. in fact for some things like the radiiator and a/c system sitting can be worse than being used.

I was not there to see what was wrong with the car so I can't know for sure what happend.

well if you feel the car is junk trade it in..

Its 7 years old and high performance, the repair costs do sound a little excessive to me but as other stated there could be many reasons other than "SVT quality" to blame for that.

You have an excellent car anyone here would love to own by the sounds of it. If you do not like it you should just sell it. It gets bad gas mileage anyway...

Post some pics of the car and engine :nice: