vibration problems!!!

84five0

Apr 1, 2004
i have an 84 5.0 with a t5 trans. The other day the car starting vibrating bad over 3000rpms it happens in every gear. i checks the u joints they seem solid. when it shakes it just isnt the shifter its the floorboards the seats everything. my h pipe is loose but i didnt think it would be that because if the car is sitting in nuetral or with the clutch in in 1st and i rev it up it dosent do it. the rear has some backlash in it but not much. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of wat it could be. Im going to check the car out tommorow so if anyone has any ideas of wat i should look for id appretiate it.

• Sponsors (?)

84five0 said:
i have an 84 5.0 with a t5 trans. The other day the car starting vibrating bad over 3000rpms it happens in every gear. i checks the u joints they seem solid. when it shakes it just isnt the shifter its the floorboards the seats everything. my h pipe is loose but i didnt think it would be that because if the car is sitting in nuetral or with the clutch in in 1st and i rev it up it dosent do it. the rear has some backlash in it but not much. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of wat it could be. Im going to check the car out tommorow so if anyone has any ideas of wat i should look for id appretiate it.
Did you actually take the drive shaft out to check the u-joints? If not you could be missing the source of the problem. Just b/c they seem tight, you won't be able to actually tell unless you remove it. Once removed, check to see if both joints rotate freely in a circular motion. Not just back and forth. If they bind at all, replace them.

I had that problem, it was a harmonic balancer, twice.
whenever I raced, the car would shake if I made a straight shot for 130, I'd see two shifters, scary ****, didn't shake in neutral. I knew it was a harmonic balancer because the ring seperated from the hub a few months later, shook like i switched around the plug wires. I pulled my motor out a year later and the new one (o.e. replacement) hadn't yet seperated, but the ring was at an angle instead of flush with the hub.

fluiddampr has the best harmonic control under 6800 rpms I think, ati rattler is better for high rpms

I rebuild my T5 not to long ago and after the reinstal I have a vibe, not real bad but enough. At first I thought that after that twelve pack I may have put the driveshaft in 180 degree out, Fliped it and the same vibe but as soon as I engage the clutch all vibes sese. I took the dust cover of the bell housing while it was running and my cluch fork was vibrating(shaking pretty bad). I am thinking that the throwout barren has moved or the pilot barren is somehow to blame. I am currently deployed and did not get a chance to get it fixed before I left. Just some places for you to look. Good luck.