VT 302 Billet Stroker shortblock on the way

jimfitzgerald

Apr 11, 2001
When Higgins got my engine apart, they discovered I have a bad main rear bearing. Rather than fix it, I decided to go with a VT 302 Billit Stroker shortblock. Jason and I are looking for 650 rwhp. Should be up and running in a few weeks. Also got larger valves, a new PA SuperComp tranny, 8 rib blower kit, and C-clip eliminators.

• Sponsors (?)

I really don't know what happened, probably never will. The car is actually still running good. My last two passes were in the 10's followed by an 800+ mile drive home from FFW Ennis, TX. If we hadn't pulled the heads for the valve upgrade, probably would not have noticed the problem until something went kaboom. I beat the crap out of the car at 8 FFW's this year. The stock tranny was wearing out and the 2nd to 3rd shift got real slow. As a result, I hit the rev limiter several times. Anyway, I look at it as a positive thing because I'm now getting the billet stroker shortblock from VT, which I never would have gotten otherwise. This along with the larger valves, SuperComp tranny, and 8 rib kit, will hopefully get me to the low 10's. I also took care of a few safety items such as c-clip eliminators, tranny shield, and SFI balancer. I'm retiring from my job on 3/31, so I never would have done all this later. :D

Two words...

YOU SUCK....

No, really, I mean you suck..... Not just because you are getting the motor, but becuase people don't let others know about coming to an event..

Communication sucks. I was at FFW Ennis (Ennis High Alumni 1986) back in September. I missed out on meeting a bunch of folks from the boards becuase of this communication thing.

Oh well, good luck and hope you get a killer....

Matt

scheister said:
I thought I heard you lost a motor due to a bad SCT tune.....
No, as Tim said, Higgins built and tuned my car. I don't think the problem is tune related. I think I beat it to death. Anyway, I'm not going to get into a pissing match regarding who's tuning software is best. I think it's more important who is doing the tuning. I would trust SCT or Tim or Higgins or MV Performance. :nice:

03trubluGT said:
Two words...

YOU SUCK....

No, really, I mean you suck..... Not just because you are getting the motor, but becuase people don't let others know about coming to an event..

Communication sucks. I was at FFW Ennis (Ennis High Alumni 1986) back in September. I missed out on meeting a bunch of folks from the boards becuase of this communication thing.

Oh well, good luck and hope you get a killer....

Matt
Well, if my car holds up, I'll be at all of them in 2004. I enjoy meeting people from these boards. Look me up at Ennis.

scheister said:
Good luck man!! Glad to hear it wasn't a tuning issue :)
I don't think it was, but it doesn't matter if it was or not. I'm not going for a street tune that is 100 percent safe. I'm pushing for everything we can get out of it, within reason. I wanted a 10 second street car, and that's what I got. Hopefully the stroker will get us low 10's. Not bad for a car that drives 800+ miles from Atlanta to all the FFW events. :shrug:

jimfitzgerald said:
When Higgins got my engine apart, they discovered I have a bad main rear bearing. Rather than fix it, I decided to go with a VT 302 Billit Stroker shortblock. Jason and I are looking for 650 rwhp. Should be up and running in a few weeks. Also got larger valves, a new PA SuperComp tranny, 8 rib blower kit, and C-clip eliminators.

Jim,

Your car has come a long way. Just think all of this started with a Dry shot a few years ago.

Your new set up sounds really nice.

mrvax said:
Jim, quick question: Did you tell your wife that this new upgrade cost about a grand? :lol:
No, we're on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy right now. She still thinks it's in for a head gasket. Now it needs a new piston. :shrug: I figure, since I make the money and pay the bills, no need to concern her with the details as long as she gets what she needs and wants. :nice: Works for me. :shrug:

jimfitzgerald said:
No, we're on the "don't ask, don't tell" policy right now. She still thinks it's in for a head gasket.

:rlaugh:

Just tell her we sent you a new piston, and because you're such a nice guy, we tossed in 7 more pistons, 8 rods, a new crank, and we felt like shipping it in an iron block for protection! Give her my number, I got yer back! LOL! :nice:

VTEngine said:

Just tell her we sent you a new piston, and because you're such a nice guy, we tossed in 7 more pistons, 8 rods, a new crank, and we felt like shipping it in an iron block for protection! Give her my number, I got yer back! LOL! :nice:

:rlaugh: :rlaugh:

Thats even better than the people that really do tell their wives it was only a grand when it was actually like six. :rlaugh:

Can't wait to see what kind of power she puts down Jim. Its already very impressive.

VTEngine said:

Not to mention the new PA Super Comp tranny you hung off the back. That piston is well protected. :rlaugh: Thanks. :D

jimfitzgerald said:
I figure, since I make the money and pay the bills, no need to concern her with the details as long as she gets what she needs and wants. :nice: Works for me. :shrug:

Don't fool yourself one second.
I make about 3 times per year what my wife makes, she drives a $30k Expedition, has a $7k wedding ring, but still gives me grief for buying a $170 set of Steeda pullies.....

She wanted a new house this year, so we put $43k down on a rather nice home, and she gets jealous of me getting Cobra wheels (used ones for $400 for the set).

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I just rathole some money each check and then go buy what I want for the car(as long as it's something you can't see from the outside). Mind you it's been small things so far, but someday the power adder is gonna be ordered......

Matt

Matt