want to add a tach to my 67 cluster

baker2956

Mar 4, 2004
NY
I have an automatic 67 so I dont have the tach in my cluster of gauges but I always feel better knowing where my RPMs are at. Is there a way to switch things up? Should I just look for a cluster w/ the tach in it already? Or should I just go w/ an expensive autometer cluster made already?

• Sponsors (?)

I looked for the same thing, but the original cluster with a tach in it are very pricey to the point of about the same cost as the JME complete cluster. I found a couple of original clusters at the Ford Expo in Columbus, OH (swap meet) and they wanted about $700 to $850 for them. I also was not sure what I was getting because you can't test them on-site and its hard to return them. I went for the JME and aside from having some minor fitment issues they have worked well and look very good.

Im thinking of putting in an autometer 2 5/8 black face tach in the clock hole. Seems to be the most economical way to go. I do plan on eventually going w/ JME's phantom series autometer cluster but that's when there's less things to do to my car.

Ok, I've let this project sit for months now, but eventually I was going to make custom overlays for them and finish it up, but I'm probably going to put a t-56 in and I need an electric speedo so I won’t be able to use them. The Speedo with trip and tach are from a cougar. It took quite a bit of modification to make them fit. If any one wants to buy them, I'd probably sell them for like $80 including custom white overlays I was making for it and the speedo lense modified to accept the trip button. Let me know

Attachments

• DSC00750.JPG
    DSC00750.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC00751.jpg
    DSC00751.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 152
Thats a pretty cool set up. I like it but what about the 2 that were in the tach spot. I belive it was oil pressure and temp. Where were u going to put them? Ive never done anything w/ my guages before so Im not really sure about all the rewiring.

Shaggy, quit working on your gauges and finish those SN95 13 inch rotor adapters!

:D :lol:

If I am not mistaken those gauges are out of a 67/68 Cougar and thus are worth more than the Mustang counterparts if you can find the right buyer. Anyone here with an XR7?

tach question

I want to put a tach in the hole where my clock should be, I also have a 67 302 roller with C4 and I feel uncomfortable without knowing my RPM's. I heard some of you say that you were doing the same or that you already had, what size tach have you or are you going to use? will a 2 1/16" work, or do I have to find a white backed 2 5/8" tach from autometer, also aren't there different types of tachs, electric and some other one? please give me some info, I'd love to know what I need exactly.

Edbert said:
Shaggy, quit working on your gauges and finish those SN95 13 inch rotor adapters!

:D :lol:

If I am not mistaken those gauges are out of a 67/68 Cougar and thus are worth more than the Mustang counterparts if you can find the right buyer. Anyone here with an XR7?

I should be talking to my machinist about making them this sunday!

The gauges arn't worth that much any more to a cougar owner. I had to cut them up a bit to make them work. I'll just finish them and put them on e-bay. Then I can make phantom cluster.
tongue.gif

baker2956 said:
Edbert how hard was it to chop up the metal back of the cluster. Im trying to figure out the best way to clamp it down before I cut it up.

I put it in a vise on my workbench and used a reciprocating saw (small "sawzall") on it. Once it was close I used a burr grinder on the dremel. You should have the circular holes for the small gauges as tight as possible, the plastic is weak for them unlike the larger two.

here's another question. If my car initially didnt have a tach(it is an automatic but I always feel better knowing where my RPMs are at) how hard is it to add the tach? Also how hard is it to wire the cluster up w/ the new guages? Ive done a ton of stuff w/ stereos just havent ventured to the guages yet.

If you don't mind me asking Edbert, how much money do you figure you have in that.

I'm just wondering how much money the guages and painless harness cost (I'm assuming you have to get the new harness), because this looks like something I might want to do. :) $800 for the premade clusters is just too much money for me to justify spending.