Warm engine start up problems

86T-Top

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2001
Dublin, PA
Hi,

I just recently started having issues with my 95 Vert. If I drive the car for about a 1/2 hour and get it nice and warm, then shut the car off and try and restart it with in 15 minutes the car won't start. The car cranks fine, i have spark and I can hear the fuel pump prime. Last time this happened I depressed the shrader valve on the fuel rail to see if there was any fuel in it. Instead of fuel coming out I got air coming past the valve, then fuel. Once I had a steady fuel flow I was able to start the car. The time before that I just let the car sit for 2 hours and it started up. It seems as if I have a vapor lock problem? Any ideas?

The car is not showing any codes, I'm thinking that I either have a failing fuel pump, pressure regulator, or a leaky fuel line. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Mario

• Sponsors (?)

Toss a fuel gauge on it and see how your pressure looks with the vacuum line disconnected. It should be around 39psi. How recently have you done a tune up? The usual suspects of plugs, wires, cap, and rotor come to mind with starting issues where you have fuel and spark. How far advanced is your base timing? Try depressing the gas pedal while cranking and see if it starts, too. It shuts the injectors off, and it may be flooding from the continual cranking, so it may ignite the fuel that's in the cylinders as it clears up.

If not mentioned :rlaugh: check your fuel pressure.

Also, when it is going to act up, try cycling the key several times before trying to crank it. This can allow you to build pressure and helps with diagnostics.

When you pull off the vac line that Matt mentioned, see if there is fuel inside of it (you need to do this right after or while the car is idling or the fuel evaporates).

Good luck.

P.S. Matt, thank you for the kind words on that thread the other day. :nice: