Warranty Breakers?

french2812

Oct 12, 2006
Olympia, WA
Looking to add a new throttle body and underdrive pulley. Already have CAI and catbacks with a dyno tune. The sales manager where I bought my '05 says you can do any thing but chip it. Anyone have any experience with this?

• Sponsors (?)

Just be up-front with your dealer and expect a little bit of hassle. Have a professional install it as well so u don't end up hurting urself in the long run due to a bad install or faulty part. It might cost more money, but the extra security is nice. However, some dealers are very picky and will void your warranty for just about anything. Just be honest and hope for the best.

Once again ? this is completely false..No Ford dealership has the legal authority to void the Ford manufactures warranty, the dealership in question may refuse to service your vehicle if for example you happen to be running nitrous or running a blower and then expect to be covered for something such as a burnt pistion ? but otherwise unless it's proven the actual aftermarket part was directly responsible for the warrated part or parts to fail ? only then can Ford itself void their manufactures warranty..

french2812 said:
Looking to add a new throttle body and underdrive pulley. Already have CAI and catbacks with a dyno tune. The sales manager where I bought my '05 says you can do any thing but chip it. Anyone have any experience with this?

The '05+ cars are flashed through the diagnostic port and do not require a chip. In the past the dealer could tell if it had a chip because you had the scrape the glue off the processor, but now if you use an SCT X-Cal or similar device, it will store the factory tune and you'll always be able to flash back to stock.

-Rick

You probably won't see much of a gain with a throttle body unless you have some kind of power adder and are making lots of power. I know we've made almost 800 RWHP with a stock TB on a '05. Both the TB and Pulleys are fairly easy to remove, so if you did for some reason have to take the car in and were worried about those items, you could remove them and re-install the factory parts. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had several modded Mustangs serviced under warranty and never had any issues, but I guess it could depend on the dealer.

I know Ford and GM differ, but I even had a clutch warrantied in a head/cam Corvette and it was obvious it was modified by the lopey idle and loud exhaust with LT Headers and no cats.

As red05bullitgt said, unless it's proven the actual aftermarket part was directly responsible for the warrated part or parts to fail they have to cover it.

I just noticed your first post says it's dyno tuned, so technically it is "chipped."

-Rick

The sales people will say anything to make the deal :D

Learn about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

It depends on the dealer, but good luck getting a driveability problem fixed under warranty with an aftemarket tune and throttle body etc... They will blame those parts first, say you're racing it and so on. Save your stock stuff. :nice:

Dealers that sell and install Ford Motorsport/Racing parts will be much more helpful than those that don't, but few will fix a "race" car under warranty.

http://autopedia.com/html/HotLinks_LemonMM2.html