water + CAI =..?

after installing the jlt cai, i am kinda nervous when driving in rainy conditions. The filter sits extremely low in the fender, and im really worried about water working its way up the pipe, bc im sure it at least mildy moistens the filter. does this happen...is there any way of preventing it?

my gt is a daily driver, so it will inevitably encounter rainy conditions-especially here in florida.

• Sponsors (?)

i had the hood off my saturn for a night and it rained on it, it was covered all but the side with the filter, lol...and it was damp, and i started it and ran it and it seemed fine. i dunno about repeatedly but i think you'll be fine. everyone does it

the filter has to be completly submerged in water for it to suck it up.

Not true. I have a cheapo CAI that runs into my fender. With my Cobra r bumper one of the supports in the left side fender didn't quite latch right, and the fenderwell plastic came loose and left a gap between the splash shield and fender. It was bad enough that whenever I was behind someone there was enough water getting on the filter to make the car surge.

It didn't hurt the motor but it's not a good feeling. If your splash shields are in place then more than likely it won't hurt it. I get more water leaking down the pipe from under the hood than in the fenderwell.

I live over Near Tampa, and as you know lately we've been in a drought. But about two maybe three days ago, it rained the hardest I've seen it in a long, long time. Well I accidentaly drove through a huge puddle and submerged the front of my car( since it's lowered as well) I was scared silly over my CAI, but honestly, I never had a problem with it. So don't stress, but just in case watch for big a## puddles in the road.

Yea you dont want a wet filter...I dont like the idea of drops of water hitting an impeller thats spinning 50,000-100,000RPM :shrug: . Stay out of boost and you MAY be ok...but the impeller is still moving pretty good.
Dry it out first.