way, way off topic: Hotel Rwanda

jikelly

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jul 9, 2003
Lubbock Tx
I just finished watching Hotel Rwanda. It was riveting, and an extremely outstanding movie. I'm afraid to say that I didn't know to much about what happened there before. Jesus, it was sad. I wish I couldn't believe that the U.N. and our goverment did nothing while so many died. I don't know what else to say. :( I just wish we lived in a better world. Anyway, did anyone else see it? What did you think?

• Sponsors (?)

2nd Mustang said:
I'm really tired of seeing depressing movies, so didn't go out of my way to see it.

That was what I thought too. My Fiance and her mom talked me into watching it and I'm glad I did. Unfortunatly, it made me realize that Bush and Clinton really are not much different where it counts. I guess Bill is still a pimp, but he's got some serious moral issues to work out.

Something tells me you haven't seen Black Hawk Down. Watch it and read the books, and you'll see why I'm glad Clinton didn't make some half-assed attempt to help Rwanda. All he did in Somalia was send a bunch of our best soldiers out to be slaughtered. He told them to do a job, then tied their hands behind their backs. He got a lot of men killed and then when it was time to retaliate he pulled out.

Yep seen that one too. I was a little broken up after watching Black Hawk Down. I had a friend who was in Somalia when the stuff hit the fan. He left the military shortly after his experience there.

Yeah Clinton stunk as commander and chief. I was in the army during Bush Sr.’s term. We didn’t like him much but he sure seems to have had a better handle on how to approach foreign policy and conflicts than either Clinton or his own son does.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Something tells me you haven't seen Black Hawk Down. Watch it and read the books, and you'll see why I'm glad Clinton didn't make some half-assed attempt to help Rwanda. All he did in Somalia was send a bunch of our best soldiers out to be slaughtered. He told them to do a job, then tied their hands behind their backs. He got a lot of men killed and then when it was time to retaliate he pulled out.[/QUOTE]

Thats not the way it went down. they were sent into arrest some warlords got lost constantly and attacked. They were screwed before they even lost the chopper's.

I haven't seen the movie yet, however, the real U.N. commander in Rwanda during the genocide was Lieutenant General Romeo Dallaire.
For an insight into the true story of what occurred there and his attempts to stop, or at least get assistance from the U.N. and other nations of the world to help stop the slaughter, look here.

http://www.cceia.org/viewMedia.php/prmTemplateID/8/prmID/848

He gave the U.N. HQ in New York warning about what was going to happen in Rwanda and begged for assistance. They did nothing.

Because the U.N. commander was a Canadian the history of what occurred there has gotten a lot of media attention here in the past decade. Retired General Romeo Dallaire was nominated as one of the great Canadians of history for his efforts during a recent poll.
His book "Shake hands with the devil" which he wrote after returning from Africa is highly recommended.
Dave

a.vannoy said:
Thats not the way it went down. they were sent into arrest some warlords got lost constantly and attacked. They were screwed before they even lost the chopper's.

What are you talking about?
Yes, that happened, but they were mostly screwed because of Clinton's policies about HOW they conducted their missions. Yes, the were screwed before the choppers went down. But what I think you don't realize is that they were screwed as soon as the raid on Olympic Hotel was planned. Because of Clinton they were not allowed to use Spectre Gunships or heavily armored ground vehicles, which would have greatly reduced American casualties.
In addition to the obvious Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden, I highly suggest reading In the Company of Heroes by Michael Durant. He was the Pilot of the 2nd Black Hawk shot down, that was protected by the two Delta snipers then taken into captivity after they were killed protecting him.

Sorry to have side-tracked the main subject, but I see these two issues as being related, having occured under the same President.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]What are you talking about?
Yes, that happened, but they were mostly screwed because of Clinton's policies about HOW they conducted their missions. Yes, the were screwed before the choppers went down. But what I think you don't realize is that they were screwed as soon as the raid on Olympic Hotel was planned. Because of Clinton they were not allowed to use Spectre Gunships or heavily armored ground vehicles, which would have greatly reduced American casualties.
In addition to the obvious Black Hawk Down by Mark Bowden, I highly suggest reading In the Company of Heroes by Michael Durant. He was the Pilot of the 2nd Black Hawk shot down, that was protected by the two Delta snipers then taken into captivity after they were killed protecting him.

Sorry to have side-tracked the main subject, but I see these two issues as being related, having occured under the same President.[/QUOTE]

You're not going to start talking politics are you?

Roy.