Wear and Tear???

• Sponsors (?)

alfman9 said:
How do the 03/04s hold up. Mine is my daily driver and I was wondering if Ill need new internals and stuff after 40k miles. Just some food for thought.

Keep it stock and I'd have to say it'll hold up just fine. Start adding boost and who knows.... I haven't seen an '03/04 with 40K miles and a 2.93 yet... doesn't mean there won't be any though... Ford torture tested these motors for 1000's of miles and they lasted over 100K.

U.M.

I was just about to purchase an fipk when a friend of mine brought it to my attention that compared to the stock intake, the kn is wide open. Uh yea, thats what gives you the power gains I said. Then he notioned that water could much more easily find its way to the filter and eventually inside the motor. After considering this, Im not sure if I should mess with the stock intake; who wants to spin the bearings in a 400 horse motor? What are your opinions on this matter? Thanks.

alfman9 said:
I was just about to purchase an fipk when a friend of mine brought it to my attention that compared to the stock intake, the kn is wide open. Uh yea, thats what gives you the power gains I said. Then he notioned that water could much more easily find its way to the filter and eventually inside the motor. After considering this, Im not sure if I should mess with the stock intake; who wants to spin the bearings in a 400 horse motor? What are your opinions on this matter? Thanks.

Even in a pouring down rain, driving at highway speeds, the amount of water that makes it up under the lip of the hood and into the engine compartment is miniscule at best. As long as you don't drive through 3 feet of standing water you'll be fine!

U.M.

vbgarage.php

alfman9 said:
What about giant puddles that throw the water up past the roof? We have lots of these around here in Florida with all of the fricking Hurricanes.

Shouldn't be a problem unless you submarine it. If your front bumper is pushing a wall of water in front of it, then yes some water may get to the filter. Again, if you are going through water that is SO DEEP that the intake can suck it up, then you should have bought a 4X4 and not a Cobra! :lol:

U.M.

I was just reading the downloadable installation instructions for the fipk and I noticed it said to DRILL a hole in the fender!!! Drill a hole in my brand new fender? I think not. My question is do you really have to drill the hole? Couldnt you just bend the bracket a little and use the factory mounting bracket? Or do you really even need that bracket at all sense you bolt the front part to the radiator? thanks.

alfman9 said:
I was just reading the downloadable installation instructions for the fipk and I noticed it said to DRILL a hole in the fender!!! Drill a hole in my brand new fender? I think not. My question is do you really have to drill the hole? Couldnt you just bend the bracket a little and use the factory mounting bracket? Or do you really even need that bracket at all sense you bolt the front part to the radiator? thanks.

No, you do not HAVE to drill the hole. There are two attachment points, you can get away with using just the radiator mount point and skip the fender mount. I really don't see what the big deal is about drilling a 5/16 hole in the fender? This is not a Ferrari, it's just a Mustang with a supercharged motor. Wait until the paint starts flaking off the front of your hood from small rock chips and such. You'll forget all about that 5/16 inch hole that you can't even see any ways...

U.M.