WEIRD!!! Car runs for 3 sec w/o key???

Strype

Cuthbert catcher
Founding Member
May 11, 1999
Huntsvegas, AL
Okay- I'm lost- my 93 Notch 5 speed runs for a few seconds after I take the key out and dies...

I upgraded to an Electric Fan and hooked it up to the coil at first and then changed it to the Green and Red wire under the steering wheel, the same one my tach is hooked to.
Didn't fix the problem...

I also changed the pulleys out to an underdrive set.

Now, when I shut the car off, it takes 2 or 3 seconds for the car to die without the key :fuss:

Coinsidence? :shrug:

Anyone had this problem- lock cylinder, alternator messed up after pulley taken off?
:shrug:

Anyone???

• Sponsors (?)

The electric fan motor is sending its own current back while still spinning keeping the ignition circuit powered up. Disconect the fan from the ignition wires under the dash. Start the car and then shut it off to see. You need to put a relay in the circuit and get power from the fuse box.

Dieseling happened on carb'd stuff - it was a self serving circle of events because of the venturi effect.

An EFI car dieseling is FEW and far between.

I would disconnect the wiring additions and see if the issue is fixed. If so, re-source wiring.

Whenever I hear of fan upgrades (knowing nothing about how it was done) that use an interior wire, I wonder if a flyback diode wasnt used and the fan is powering the ignition upon shut-down.

Otherwise, as 68TGT mentioned, check the ignition switch. Probe each wire after the key is off but while it's still running-on. Note which wire(s) remain hot and trace the circuit.

Good luck.

Blown83GT said:
The electric fan motor is sending its own current back while still spinning keeping the ignition circuit powered up. Disconect the fan from the ignition wires under the dash. Start the car and then shut it off to see. You need to put a relay in the circuit and get power from the fuse box.

:banana: You da man! :banana:

I'll try it tomorrow :nice:

Blown83GT said:

Correct! A relay will fix you up.

My car did this same thing....never figured out what the was exactly but when i put my Malory Unilite disy on, it solved the problem....so i'm guessing it was either ignition related or timing related.

haha, my gt did the same thing not only would the car continue to run but the cd player would play for an extra 15 secs I could turn the car off walk to my front door and still hear the music, I ran the electric fan at the same exact spot.

Thanks guys- I have a thermostat I can use, but I don't want to worry with it since they go out after a while... I'll hook a relay to it tonight :)

We thought that fan may have something to do with it! But hey, The car never got over 180 degrees :D on it's trial run