Weld in Flowmasters (Which Ones???)

uhoh5.0

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2002
Montgomery, AL
I want to order a set of flowmaster mufflers and have them welded in. The local midas shop said they would do it for $60.00 Which ones should I buy???
Also, i know that the aftermarket cat-back systems come with larger 2.5 inch pipe, but is there really that much difference between the stock piping @2.25 inches with welded in flows and an aftermarket cat-back system 2.5 inches with the same flowmasters?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I had welded in original 40's when my car ran 11.55@118, but I recently got a good deal on a American Thunder cat-back with the new Super 40's. The Super's sound a bit deeper and should flow a little better. I'd go with the 2.5" Super 40's and have them welded in to your stock tails:D

Jay

uhoh5.0 said:
I want to order a set of flowmaster mufflers and have them welded in. The local midas shop said they would do it for $60.00 Which ones should I buy???
Also, i know that the aftermarket cat-back systems come with larger 2.5 inch pipe, but is there really that much difference between the stock piping @2.25 inches with welded in flows and an aftermarket cat-back system 2.5 inches with the same flowmasters?:shrug:

If you want a loud deep tone go with the original 40 series flowmasters and a mac off-road h-pipe. Thats what I have it sounds like a 1960's muscle car. From what I have been told from flowmaster the super 40's are not as loud and may have a little less drone. Also my original 40's are just welded in . If you like loud spend the extra 130-140 bucks and get the off-road pipe for sure.:nice:

I've got the "Super" 40s welded into stock pipes on my car. They are decently loud, but nothing like a car with an H or X pipe. Probably twice as loud as stock at idle and under moderate throttle -- but a lot louder at high RPM.
The "Flowmaster drone" isn't bad. Mostly exists between 2000-2200 rpm (smaller range than Original 40s) and it isn't too loud/annoying. If it gets to you, you can easily speed up/slow down a few MPH and dampen it because the rpm range is so small.
I get lots of complements on my exhaust.
I'm happy with it. Loud enough to be nice, without worrying about antagonizing Deputy Dawg.

My fiance had the 40s welded in her car also. It sounded a little deeper and better than stock. But too me it was still quiet. My car came with the 2 chambered Flows and it sounded really nice. But when I put on the UPR X pipe...:eek:. It woke up the FLows big time.

jrc_03_gt said:
If you want a loud deep tone go with the original 40 series flowmasters and a mac off-road h-pipe. Thats what I have it sounds like a 1960's muscle car. From what I have been told from flowmaster the super 40's are not as loud and may have a little less drone. Also my original 40's are just welded in . If you like loud spend the extra 130-140 bucks and get the off-road pipe for sure.:nice:

Not true. My friends mom has an '01 Mustang GT with the regular 40 series flows, and I just recently put on the super 40's on my '99 GT. I can tell a big difference, mainly that my super 40's are louder and deeper in sound. Sounds mean as heck, even though they're both all stock with just the mufflers changed. Maybe they were referring to the interior resonance as far as the supers being not as loud, and the drone is less with the super 40's.