welding burns

So i'm in a welding class at my college. i'm learning how to do basic stuff ( gas and arc welding.) so i'm doing a basic butt weld with arc welding and i feel my leg getting warmer and warmer.. i think nothing about it just thinking its sparks hitting my leg. It keeps getting hotter and hotter. i finish my weld and look down my left leg up to my knee is on fire. I throw the stinger(the thing that holds the stick for arc welding) thats starts arcing off on the metal and jump out of the booth and start to try and put it out while my teacher is just looking at me. A student comes over and pours his monster energy drink on my leg to finally put it out. While this is all happening the teacher never made one effort to come over and help me. But here is some pics for what happen.. lesson learned tho never wear pants with little strings on the bottom from u stepping on them when you are welding.
burn1.jpg

burn2.jpg

burn3.jpg

burn6.jpg

burn5.jpg

burn4.jpg

Attachments

• burn1.jpg
    burn1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 588
  • burn2.jpg
    burn2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 276
  • burn3.jpg
    burn3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 230
  • burn6.jpg
    burn6.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 3,540
  • burn5.jpg
    burn5.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 277
  • burn4.jpg
    burn4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,979
  • Sponsors (?)

Is there any thick gear that does not catch on fire? HAHA just like me when once I was using demo saw to cut the steel curbs on the roof , oh and teacher that doesn't care about safety of the students should be fired .

neo , neosporin

I get burned EVERY day at work...I wear a leather jacket, TIG gloves, bandanna around my neck, carharts, 8" boots, and still there is always somewhere it gets me.....
Hope your leg heals... That **** is painful..

yea i wear jeans and stuff so i wouldn't catch on fire. but i guess i just had some bad luck. it melted the soft leather stuff on the top of my boots, discolored the side, melted the laces and burnt alittle bit of the bottom on my doc martens

Wow, that sucks... Ouch.

I watched a "moron" in shop class (wood working in HS) make mence meat out of his finger on THE safest machine in the shop. It was an edger that you could ONLY get to the blades while lifting the safety guard... and the opening to the blades was ONLY the size of a finger width. I stood in amazement as the kid turned his head sideways to answer someone and stuck his finger right in that little slot.

Clothing is one of those things many don't think about. Especially jewelry. Lots of accidents with that.

You might get a leather apron. :nice:

yea the teacher only recommended long sleeve cotton shirt with a high neck line and leather boots and jeans.:nonono: so you wont get burned from sparks. i never thought of jeans catching on fire like they did.:bang: im gonna buy a leather apron before i start welding again:D