Well...the car sat for 1.5 years and now it's actually slower than when it went away

TMC

Founding Member
Jan 17, 1999
Chicago
Not that I'm unhappy about that!

About three weeks ago I decided that I would race at the NMRA Joliet event in Factory Stock. So, for the last couple weeks I have been working on the car almost every day/night to get it ready. Well after working on it all that time it still wasn't done before the race so I showed up there Friday around noon and started working on the car at the track. Started it up around 5pm to find that I had put the wrong flywheel in the car! Changed that and continued working until about 11pm when most things were done on the car.

First qualifying round was Friday so I only made two attempts to qualify on Saturday but things didn't turn out too badly with the car. You can read the full results at... Stangcrazy.com

The short story however is that the car went 11.99 on it's first pass and made a best pass of 11.81. I qualified third and lost to the number one made in the semi-finals.

I'm sure there is more in the car but it will be at least few weeks before I get out again. I need to correct some issues with the car before I take it out again.

Attachments

• p1020409.jpg
    p1020409.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 157
  • Sponsors (?)

The bad vibration when it ran gave it away. That is the only part I changed in the rotating assembly so it was the only thing that could have been causing that.

Damn, 11's in factory stock form in a 94-95... I'm impressed Troy. Any idea on the raceweight? Congrats, that is an accomplishment. Are you running Gt40 or Gt40P's? Its nice to see that you are out racing it again!

Killercanary said:
Damn, 11's in factory stock form in a 94-95... I'm impressed Troy. Any idea on the raceweight? Congrats, that is an accomplishment. Are you running Gt40 or Gt40P's? Its nice to see that you are out racing it again!

Thanks!

Raceweight was 3220-3225 which is 70 lbs heavier than I need to be!

GT-40's but to be honest I don't think that these heads are making any more power than my old P heads just yet. However I've never had it to the dyno and those were the first passes on them so it definately is not tuned completely yet. I'm hoping there is 10 or so more HP in it somewhere.

Congrats Troy - good results for the prep done imho. Your P heads are making fine power to this day. Final dyno will come this fall after getting the valve train tweaked in and the 4-5 "weak" new FRPP replacement lifters get replaced. I know that stock cats are holding back some HP in this combo, but I'm smog checked - maybe some high flows some day.

tmoss said:
Congrats Troy - good results for the prep done imho. Your P heads are making fine power to this day. Final dyno will come this fall after getting the valve train tweaked in and the 4-5 "weak" new FRPP replacement lifters get replaced. I know that stock cats are holding back some HP in this combo, but I'm smog checked - maybe some high flows some day.

Thanks Tom.

I'm sure the cats are holding back a little power in your car but it's still pretty darn strong!

wytstang said:
Congrats on the runs, high 11's with out a tune is quite nice. What tranny are you running, I noticed Shawn J runing a tremec case with g-force internals is that a common combo in F/S??Again congrats.

I've got a regular Tremec 3550 in the car. I'd like to get a T-5 in there but again, the money just isn't there for that right now.

Yeah, the G-force internals are fairly common in FS. The G-force stuff is very strong and T-5's don't rob as much power as the Tremec 3550's do.

Real solid weekend Troy. Congrats!

I checked out the threads on Hardcore5.0 and when I saw that .99 I knew you came to play. With less weight, and the car still hooking up, you can roll DEEP into the .70's. Tweak it here and there....you're deep into the .60's.

It'll be a contender and I can't wait to see it all come about.

Good luck with it, and congrats on the success this weekend!

Joe

Thanks everyone!

HUNTED,

A couple pictures can be seen in this post...

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=568809

Joe,

I think it's got more potential as well but I'm not sure I'll be using any of it any time soon. Racing simply cost too much $$$ that I don't have. I'm going to try to make at least one more race this year but I don't have much need to bring the car back out just to run 11.8's again.

I was glad to see your name in the results. I didn't get a chance to make it down, my Grandpa was in town and he has bone marrow cancer.

You should have started this thread out with: "My 3200 pound naturally aspirated 95 GT ran 11's with GT40's, Cobra intake, and stock cam." Then you'd bring out all the internet racers calling BS.

zenboy99 said:
You should have started this thread out with: "My 3200 pound naturally aspirated 95 GT ran 11's with GT40's, Cobra intake, and stock cam." Then you'd bring out all the internet racers calling BS.

LOL Just what I'd like to avoid...hahaha Seriously, maybe I'll start a different post where we can have a little fun with the subject over at the Corral???

zenboy99 said:
I was glad to see your name in the results. I didn't get a chance to make it down, my Grandpa was in town and he has bone marrow cancer.

YOu made the right choice...no doubt IMO.