Went for Dyno

lvmustanggt

Apr 9, 2006
Las Vegas
Today I am very unhappy and don't know what to do. I went to get dyno cause last time I got only 166miles out of full tank.

I just install upr cats x pipe about month ago. I was just sick of my off road h-pipe cause of loud and every time I have to get smog check.

Today he tune it for 2 hours but he don't know that is causing the leaning problem. He told me that at 6000rpm my car just falls and loss 20hp and around 5500 rpm I lost 8hp. He now check the air fuel and ever thing is fine but at 6000 rpm my car falls flat. He was saying I might need new fuel pump or the new cats x pipe that I have put it got burned so it's blocking exhaust air .

My catback is *****d up cause of my accident , the just cut and welded the bent driver side exhaust insted of changing it.

I need help asap. What you guys think happen ? Fuel pump ? catback ? cats x pipe ? spark plug ?

Right now I am so upset , I am thinking to sell my car cause it is 2002 and maybe it is showing sign of things going bad. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

I would suspect the fuel pump, but I would first put a fuel pressure monitor on the fuel rail to see what is actually happening with the pressure. If it drops off, then they fuel pump is more than likely it. If it was something consistent with the exhaust, you would see losses throughout the rpm range, not just in certain rpms. First thing is first though, change the fuel filter if that hasn't been done and go from there.

get your self an svt focus fuel pump from the ford dealer its like $80 there are a lot of write-ups on installing this fuel pump into our cars its very easy i did the install my self when i installed my vortech supercharger

the pump is good up to about 420hp

like i said its a very easy install toke me about 2hrs to do the install with basic hand tools its a direct swap no modification needed

just make sure you have as little gas in the tank as possible

good luck

just as a side note if it were your cats going bad you would have major power lost from idle to 6000 rpms not just power lose on the top-end

sounds like your pump is giving up the ghost on top-end to me real easy fix man

Didn't you say that the tuner told you A/F ratio was fine? If so, the problem isn't fuel. If your pump wasn't keeping up, or the filter was clogged, you'd see it going lean at the higher RPMs. Since that's NOT happening, it's time to look elsewhere.

Well before you blindly go replacing things, go through the normal checks (i.e. replace fuel filter, put a fuel pressure reader when on a dyno, or get a fuel pressure gauge which would be a good idea for you anyways with cams, pull and check plugs, etc). Also, are you rev'ing to 6000 or 6500 with the cams?

Get a new Tuner??? :shrug:

If this guy can't figure it out on the dyno then he is not worthy of working on your car. You have a lot of work done to your car and shouldn't have to worry about having a competent mechanic to help when needed.

Today I am very unhappy and don't know what to do. I went to get dyno cause last time I got only 166miles out of full tank.

I just install upr cats x pipe about month ago. I was just sick of my off road h-pipe cause of loud and every time I have to get smog check.

Today he tune it for 2 hours but he don't know that is causing the leaning problem. He told me that at 6000rpm my car just falls and loss 20hp and around 5500 rpm I lost 8hp. He now check the air fuel and ever thing is fine but at 6000 rpm my car falls flat. He was saying I might need new fuel pump or the new cats x pipe that I have put it got burned so it's blocking exhaust air .

My catback is *****d up cause of my accident , the just cut and welded the bent driver side exhaust insted of changing it.

I need help asap. What you guys think happen ? Fuel pump ? catback ? cats x pipe ? spark plug ?

Right now I am so upset , I am thinking to sell my car cause it is 2002 and maybe it is showing sign of things going bad. :bang:

Check the back pressure on each side and see if the repaired pipe has a problem. Or if the cats are bad on both sides.

The Focus SVT pump was a good buy. For a hundred bucks and an hour and a half under the car it's worth it. Just make sure you've got WD-40 because the bolts that hold the tank up are a bitch to get out. Your gonna want to put a jack under the tank to support it when you drop it too. Also, the less fuel in there the lighter it's going to be.:)

As far as your buys...IMO you payed way too much for both.

I bought the SVT pump/basket for about $9X and got the magnaflow catback off of stangnets partshopper for $350. Just enter the code magna454 and it drops like $100 off the price....if its still in effect.

Otherwise...I agree with the others...probably not a fuel issue. Also when you get your pump in...take the pump out and just swap it into your old basket. DO NOT USE THE SVT BASKET! There are alot of things that make it not work correctly with a stock setup...I just did this install and it was a pain. (I used a Ford GT pump, so that caused even more problems :nonono: .

As far as your buys...IMO you payed way too much for both.

I bought the SVT pump/basket for about $9X and got the magnaflow catback off of stangnets partshopper for $350. Just enter the code magna454 and it drops like $100 off the price....if its still in effect.

Otherwise...I agree with the others...probably not a fuel issue. Also when you get your pump in...take the pump out and just swap it into your old basket. DO NOT USE THE SVT BASKET! There are alot of things that make it not work correctly with a stock setup...I just did this install and it was a pain. (I used a Ford GT pump, so that caused even more problems :nonono: .

That's what I paid for my SVT pump off of e-bay. I think you did fine. Yeah, remove the pump from the basket, you'll need some super small sockets to get it out, I ended up finding a SAE socket that worked fine.

Hotmustang331: Do you have the same problem where you can't go under 1/4 tank w/o running out of gas? For me it stays on the Full marker for a while but then drops like crazy after.

don't know. how do you check ?

If you dont even know what your fuel pressure was, then how do you know the fuel pump is going bad?

Too many people have problems with their cars on here and just start throwing parts on the car. IF your fuel pump is only falling off at 6k rpm, that doesnt explain your overall drop in fuel mileage. You're not at 6k rpm the entire time you drive your car. It just doesnt add up. Check your fuel pressure and see if it falls off under a load. Just go pick up a fuel pressure guage/kit, screw the adapter into the fuel rail and run the guage out to the windshield and tape it on. Drive the car, and if pressure falls off under load, then you have good cause to blame the pump.