went to the track for the 1st time

98_stang_guy

Apr 17, 2003
Wisconsin
Friday night I went to the drag strip to see what my stock V6 automatic stang would do in the 1/4 mile. My best 1/8 mile time was 11.223 @ 62.740mph and my best 1/4 mile time was 17.424 @ 79.461mph. Those of you that have done a thing or two to your cars...what are you guys running in the 1/4 mile and what mods have you done? should i go with the power adding mods first (such as UD pulleys, CAI, exhaust, etc.) or start off with gears, t-loc, shift kit and stuff like that?

One more thing...my last run, I was against an either '94 or '95 GT 5.0 5-speed. I pulled up to the line the announcer says "we have a mustang against..." the other guy pulls up to the line and the announcer says "...what do ya know, another mustang, a mustang GT" (because there were many mustangs there) the guy w/ the GT must have screwed up his start really bad or something, but I was ahead of him at the 1/8 mile, and by the 1/4 mile he got maybe one car's length on me if he was lucky. Some buddies of mine that were watchign said that the announcer said as soon as I took off "look, the V6 is ahead of the GT." Well, needless to say, even though I didnt beat him in the 1/4, the V6 was mentioned and im sure the GT owner was very embarassed.

• Sponsors (?)

98_stang_guy said:
Friday night I went to the drag strip to see what my stock V6 automatic stang would do in the 1/4 mile. My best 1/8 mile time was 11.223 @ 62.740mph and my best 1/4 mile time was 17.424 @ 79.461mph. Those of you that have done a thing or two to your cars...what are you guys running in the 1/4 mile and what mods have you done? should i go with the power adding mods first (such as UD pulleys, CAI, exhaust, etc.) or start off with gears, t-loc, shift kit and stuff like that?

One more thing...my last run, I was against an either '94 or '95 GT 5.0 5-speed. I pulled up to the line the announcer says "we have a mustang against..." the other guy pulls up to the line and the announcer says "...what do ya know, another mustang, a mustang GT" (because there were many mustangs there) the guy w/ the GT must have screwed up his start really bad or something, but I was ahead of him at the 1/8 mile, and by the 1/4 mile he got maybe one car's length on me if he was lucky. Some buddies of mine that were watchign said that the announcer said as soon as I took off "look, the V6 is ahead of the GT." Well, needless to say, even though I didnt beat him in the 1/4, the V6 was mentioned and im sure the GT owner was very embarassed.

I have a automatic and the best I've gotten out of it was a 16.3 @ 89mph in the quarter..... :nonono: I'm not very impressed with that at all.

I would go in this order:

CAI
cat-back axhaust
u/d
4:10 & T-lok
shift kit
you could chip it now if that's all you're going to do.

lowering kit wouldn't hurt, but wouldn't make too much diff (mostly looks and swerving around).

A note on the shift kit... I love pulling dead even with people and when the car shifts, it lunges ahead of other autos. When they shift, they fall back a little, and the gap widens everytime someone hits a shift point. You could also manually shift w/ the TransGo kit.

Then I wold go with:

Full exhaust (LT's, high-flo cats, x/h/pro mid pipe)
A little N2O or S/C, T/C?
H/C/I work
TB MAF, power pipe?

My best 97 auto nearly stock quarter mile time was a 16.4. that with with exhaust and intake. My car pwns other cars of the same year! With gears and chip/ud pulleys I got myself down to like a 15.5ish. My average run is about a 15.8 though. No NOS!!!! lol

My first run ever was with a shift kit and (didn't know it at the time) a knocking motor and ran 17.8. I haven't made it back since all the mods and rebuilt motor, but I'll definately post about it.

My 96 auto was running 13.80’s @102mph before I blow the head gaskets. Now I’m waiting on a 4.2L short block with a 215/225 deg. .543 lift cam from rpm–mustangs.com I hope it comes in soon I’ve been waiting for two and a half months. I’m looking for high 12’s with this motor.

Last mods are in sig.