went to track again! DISAPPOINTED!!!

doodad

Oct 12, 2006
i went to track today (US41, IN) it was my first time at that track.
i ran 9 times (hot lap.. didn't get a chance to cool the engine down)

first run 13.8@101mph with crappy 2.18 60'

second run 13.7@102mph with 2.1 60'

third run: 14.8@89mph with 2.1 60' ( i missed third and damn shifter wouldn't grab the third.. finally it grabbed but the car wouldn't pull at all and i relaized i was in fifth and i dropped back to 3rd but the game was over already)

fourth run 13.6@102mph with 2.0 60'

fifth run 13.6@102mph with 2.0 60'

6th run 14.0@90ish MPH wiTH 2.3 60' ( i bogged the hell out of the car, the dude, i raced with was JUST lucky cuz i couldn't launch. cuz he ran high 13s and he was the one who wanted to race)

seventh run 13.6@102mph with 2.0 60'

eighth run 13.6@102mph with 2.0 60'

Last run 14.4@96mph with 2.1 60'

i know i can drive better.. and i know i will dig into 13.4 again and again and again..

i think if i would have cooled my engine down pretty good, i would shave off a good .1 or maybe .2 of sec on my ET. track was empty so we wanted to just keep racing and i kept running 13.6 all day. ( i went to track for at least 13.5s but no luck)

oh well..:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

If you want to run a good number you will never do it hot lapping. On days that you know you are going to hot lap, lower your expectations. This way you don't come away as you said "disappointed". I wouldn't expect anything better than what you got based on how you told your story.

Also, if your missing shifts and bogging so frequently - looks to be 3 of your 9 runs, 33% of the time your driving is the cause of a poor race. Get that under 5% and get consitent with your car. All of the numbers will imporve across the board if you do..

Emay said:
If you want to run a good number you will never do it hot lapping. On days that you know you are going to hot lap, lower your expectations. This way you don't come away as you said "disappointed". I wouldn't expect anything better than what you got based on how you told your story.

Also, if your missing shifts and bogging so frequently - looks to be 3 of your 9 runs, 33% of the time your driving is the cause of a poor race. Get that under 5% and get consitent with your car. All of the numbers will imporve across the board if you do..

i am already consistent. i have been running the same times and very close 60' all the time i go to track.. even big pros. runs bad sometime.. it happens.. i agree with you not to do hot laps if i wanna expect better numbers.. but as i said, people wanted to race and i never said no!

about shifting, facotry shifter sucks.. i missed third 2 times first was onmy second run and second was on my last run. i have owned many manual tranny cars and i never had 3rd gear issues and i gotta say new stangs have pretty bad shifter.. i tried my buddy's short shifter and i couldnt belive how much difference it had..

anyway.. next time i go to track, i will be back with 13.4-5s time slips stock again!!

doodad said:
i am already consistent. i have been running the same times and very close 60' all the time i go to track.. even big pros. runs bad sometime.. it happens.. i agree with you not to do hot laps if i wanna expect better numbers.. but as i said, people wanted to race and i never said no!

about shifting, facotry shifter sucks.. i missed third 2 times first was onmy second run and second was on my last run. i have owned many manual tranny cars and i never had 3rd gear issues and i gotta say new stangs have pretty bad shifter.. i tried my buddy's short shifter and i couldnt belive how much difference it had..

anyway.. next time i go to track, i will be back with 13.4-5s time slips stock again!!

doodad, for the record I wasn't dinging you. Just stickin my two cents in there. If you feel your consistent thats all that matters. I was just saying, if I had money on the line a 60% chance is not likely to be something I'd toss my money on. I hope you see my point. Pro's generally are not to blame for their mishaps, I'll bet it's safe to say the drivers margin of error is 8% or less.

As for the shifter, mine was replaced less than 200 miles into owning the car. I know it's crap, but only in terms of the long throw, I don't feel it increases your chances of a missed third gear. Again only my opinion here.

Swap that shifter if you like, but if your clickin 13.47 on a bone stocker as it was before, I have to say just focus on that 2nd to 3rd shift..