Wet Carpet Problem

I have a weird situation. I washed the car a week ago & left the wing window was not locked shut on the drivers side. Carpet got wet & was still wet 4 days later. I pulled the carpet & tried to dry the padding underneath with a heat gun. Got most of it dry & have left the carpet pulled up until today. It is 8 days later & the top of the carpet is dry, but I put my hand underneath & it was wet on the underside of the carpet & the pad had water on it. It wasn't moisture but more like water spilled.It didn't soak through the pad though. I was able to wipe it up with a rag & it's dry again. The car has not been out of the garage since last Tuesday. I did start it today to test the new distributor I installed, but shut it off after a few minutes. Never drove it. I can't figure out where the water is coming from. It can't still be wet from the wash, could it? It's been 80+ degrees here every day for the last week, so I figure the carpet should have dried on it's own. Does carpet sweat? Seems like something is leaking but the wet is concentrated in an area 3-4" in front of the seat tracks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have my car totally disassembled right now, save the brake lines and the pedal box. I have had odd water leaks inside for years, even though my car is a California car and has never seen snow or a costal enviroment. After I got the blanket off the firewall, I figured out the problem.

Somewhere in the last 20 years, the factory undercoating disintregrated and is no longer doing it's job. Water would leak down the cowl, out the sides, and back into the car via the pinch seam that was no longer sealed.

If I remember I'll take pictures tomorrow. I was stunned to look up in the corner and see daylight where the seam sealer obviously used to reside.

When the padding gets wet it holds water like a sponge. You MUST lift the padding up so that air can get underneath it. Even then expect a couple of days for it to air dry.

When I had a leaky cowl I would use indoor/outdoor carpet as padding. When it got wet I would just hang it up on the clothesline.