Electrical what 3g alternator to use?

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
So I replaced the alternator and had a problem finding the right application. I went with one that was close but was clocked wrong. What is the best application to ask for to get a good 3g?

• Sponsors (?)

94-95GT Mustang or 3.8L Thunderbird. If your looking for the standard 130 amp that is. Which in most applications, would be enough. I run an electric fan, Amp with full components (no subs), gauges, with all lights on and volt doesn't budge and headlights don't go dim at all, even with AC on.

I was looking under Ford V8's so that helps!
A general Fyi - "Clocking" has to do with how the halves of the case are rotated before final assembly. Many alternators can have the screws pulled while holding the unit together, then the halves rotated, and the case screws/bolts put back without damage. But I was not going to do this with an expensive one and risk messing up the brushes.

Here is a list I found a few years back. The easiest one to swap is from the mustang and taurus. Some minor notching of the bracket is needed for the large case alt.

94-96 Mustang 3.8 V-6
94-95 Mustang 5.0
94-96 Thunderbird 3.8 V-6 (non SC)
95-96 Windstar 3.0 V-6 (most are 3.8's)
93-96 E/F series Trucks/Vans 4.9 L6*
90's Sable, Taurus 3.0 V-6
94-96 Cougar 3.8 V-6

*Probably the best one if you can get it (should be easy to find, too) is off the E/F series...this series uses a threaded top ear like the stocker on the Mustang....E/F series with threaded ear uses metric bolt. ALSO, make sure the E/F series is 130 Amps and NOT 95.

I got mine from PA performance Alternators.

PA make a good product. Not everyone wants to spend $200 though for an alternator. There are plenty of SN95's in jumkyards. I would recommend getting that one and but the power cable kit from the guy I bought it from on the Corral. Comes with all the 4g wire, watertight fuse holder and fuse, ends already crimped on, the nut and bolt for the top of the alternator and even the wire for the stator. Think I paid like $38 for it. All you need is a 4g ground wire and you are set.