What Aftermarket Resto Parts Are Good? What Ones Are Junk?

gearheadboy

15 Year Member
Jan 15, 2003
Greencastle Pa
I am in the process of restoring my 1988 GT to near factory condition. The modifications will remain but are simple like gears, and drive train. The cosmetics will be mostly stock all but for the hood. What aftermarket parts can I save a buck on and which ones should I keep OEM in your experiences? Door handles, mouldings, emblems, etc. That is the kind of stuff I'm talking. What have you bought that you were happy with or disgusted with?

• Sponsors (?)

As always - buy OEM when you can, but there isn't much left from Ford for our cars. When I bought my car three years ago, I bought a lot of trim and replaced all the weatherstripping from LRS for my car. On my doors I did the inner/outer belt moldings along with exterior trim. The quality is excellent and has been holding up great. I have new Cobra tail light lenses which are flawless and very well made. I also have the economy headlights that look great, but are a huge PITA to adjust. I have a few new interior pieces too I've been happy with.

My biggest complaint is with the door to body weatherstripping. It seals great, however after three years my doors still take a slam or a lot of force to close the doors. Also, it took over a year to get rid of the rancid smell of the new rubber.

I don't buy the "everything aftermarket is junk". I have worked in the automotive industry for many years and the aftermarket sometimes repairs the flaws of the OEM stuff. I feel these days there are many great reproduction items, however I also see the garbage euro taillights that don't fit or hold up (example). I have seen a great explosion in interior and trim items for these cars being remade, some from OEM tooling. I also prfer OEM in most situations, however the prices are sometimes mearly reflective of keeping the car all OEM and not the quality. I personally dont need an OEM head lamp bulb (example). I was thinking more along the lines of CJ's or LMR trim items, outer door handles etc.

Bought weatherstripping from Blue Oval industries, only issue is from the sunroof weatherstripping that gores on the body, it is not even close to the right fit, the sunroof sticks 1/2 inch above the body line, looks horrible....