What alternator do you have

bad68coupe

Jul 18, 2006
Richardson, TX
I am looking for alternators and the selection everywhere i go is nothing shorty of skimpy. I plan on running a pretty heavy stereo (in-dash DVD, 5 Speakers, and 2 10" subwoofers in the trunk). What do ya'll have and what would you recomend

• Sponsors (?)

I run a 3G 130 amp unit from a 99 model Stang. Got it for $42 shipped to my door from the local salvage yard. Took to the Autozone and it tested fine. Beats the heck out of the old 55 amp unit. also has built in voltage regulator so i was able to remove the old box mounted on the rad support...I run electric fan, stereo and whatever else and it does great..

alternator

I just put a 130 amp Pa-performance alternator in my '68 and it puts out 13.8 volts with everything electrical running. The alternator is pricey, but it works great and has instructions. The only heavy draw I have on my car though is the 4 halogen headlights which are all wired through relays like fog lamps. My car is a Cougar not a Mustang so the four headlights was not a typo and are all on when the high beams are on. The alternator came stock on early ninety Taurus. There are instructions on a bronco site for how to wire these, but the Pa-performance came with the wiring and instructions. Oh, I used the 15 mm flange, and I didn't even have to modify the bracket at all.

Ford Racing 90 amp, got it from ebay for 75$ for a close to brand new alternator and cheap. The wife wouldn't let me go to the junk yard and source one from a Taurus.

Though, my neighbors abandoned a 94 Taurus right outside my apartment... hmmm, cooling fan, alternator, coil, fuel injectors....

alternator choices

When I was trying to figure out which alternator to buy, I first read almost everything on this forum about alternators. Then I went to some sites suggested in the replies. The cheapest choice is to go to a junkyard and find a 3G alternator and buy a wiring kit from Pa-performance. The next price wise was a one wire alternator. Then the next choice price wise was a local auto store 3G and a wiring kit. Then PA-performance which was the highest.
If you want to know what amperage you need. All you need to do is add up everything electrical on the car. I figured out that my car needed about 60 amps max. I have an electric fan that draws 25 amps that still hasn't been installed. At the time I had a 600 watt amplifier that I was planning on putting in but returned to the store. Max draw for that was 80 amps. All together that came out 165 amps. Since everything electrical will not not be working at the same time you can reduce that. The alternator I boought was a 130 amp alternator that put out 91 amps at idle and 150 amps max. That pretty much would cover my needs. My main concern was the amperage at idle.
The people who chose one wire alternators like the high amperage, simple installation, and cleaner engine compartment. Don't forget those Powermasters look great.
I chose PA-performance alternators because it was a 90-95 taurus stock type for easy replacement and the way I ordered it it came with a megafuse, 4 gauge wire, wiring kit to keep all stock functions running, and instructions. There are several sites that outline a 3G conversion that are good resources that I can't remember right now. Also, measure the top mounting flange thickness before you go to the junkyard or local auto parts place if you go those routes. The two mounting flange options are 15 and 21 mm. I bought a 15 mm and didn't have to modify anything to put it in.
Good luck.