What big brake kit should I get?

Tommy 00GT

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2000
Bay Area, CA
I was gonna get the cobra brake kit. But then I saw this Baer GT brake kit which is the same price was the cobra brake kit.

GTC.gif

http://baer.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/00166.2.4246604815800016031

• Sponsors (?)

the kit you posted is $900-1000
my kit was like $700-800, no way your going to find it for $400
12" kits cost considerable less than 13" kits, make sure you are looking at the correct application

Brakes will very quite a bit in price depending of how well you need them to perform. If it is just a street car, the Ford Racing Brembos, Saleen Brembos, or the standard Baer kit are all great choices, and I doubt the average driver could tell any difference between them on the street. Remember, the pad compound will also make a difference, as well as how you bed the pads and season the rotors.

If you have some pretty decent power and need to slow down from high speeds quickly and repetitivly, you should look at a four piston system like an Alcon. You can get some really good info on brakes in general from the Baer website: http://baer.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/00533.2.1110818506400021239

squares98 said:
Do Not get the 13" rear kit if you are expecting gains(bling bling!)
Buy the complete rotor/caliper package it is about $500, the same as 98stangV8's setup.

mine was around 2k total...with each caliper being 100 bucks more to powdercoat it blue...so around 1600 without powdercoating...

The full baer kit is basically identical to a Cobra kit. If you go with CObra parts you can usually end up getting it cheaper.

The front calipers are the same as CObra PBR's. The only different in the rear is the Baer kit uses PBR rear calipers while Cobra's use Varga calipers. Rotor diamters are close to even (11.65" vs 12")

Of course you do get the bling bling crossdrilled rotors, which i happen to like.

You can get away cheap with the Cobra brake kit. $400 for the front and $190 for the rear kit (reusing GT calipers) so you can get Cobra brakes for around $600 or so. If you desire crossdrilled rotors you can order the baer eradispeed rotors for about $450 putting you for $1000 for what is basically the $2K Bear kit.

Going with a higher price baer kit won't really offer much of an improvement over stock Cobra. The front setup is identical and the rears are marginally better since the rotor is about 1/2" bigger.

Mustang5L5 said:
The full baer kit is basically identical to a Cobra kit. If you go with CObra parts you can usually end up getting it cheaper.

The front calipers are the same as CObra PBR's. The only different in the rear is the Baer kit uses PBR rear calipers while Cobra's use Varga calipers. Rotor diamters are close to even (11.65" vs 12")

Of course you do get the bling bling crossdrilled rotors, which i happen to like.

You can get away cheap with the Cobra brake kit. $400 for the front and $190 for the rear kit (reusing GT calipers) so you can get Cobra brakes for around $600 or so. If you desire crossdrilled rotors you can order the baer eradispeed rotors for about $450 putting you for $1000 for what is basically the $2K Bear kit.

Going with a higher price baer kit won't really offer much of an improvement over stock Cobra. The front setup is identical and the rears are marginally better since the rotor is about 1/2" bigger.

I was sitting here looking at sites and considering things. I readjusted my thoughts to buying just the full front kit.. and JUST the big rotors in the back. This is mostly for the look factor, and it will get some better braking as well, id imagine.

So the baer rotors will fit with the stock gt calipers in the back right?

WillDuhhBeast said:
So the baer rotors will fit with the stock gt calipers in the back right?

If you are talking about the baer 13" Plus 1 kit, then yes it will work with the stock GT calipers.

Don't expect much of an increase in braking fron it though. It's a thin 1/2" wide rotor that will be prone to fade.

That kit is $250, while the FMS M-2300M kit is $190 and has the parts to swap to the 11.65" Cobra rear disk setup with a thicker venter rotor. Not as big as the 13" setup, but a little more performance based.

Your choice of course, just laying out the options.

Mustang5L5 said:
If you are talking about the baer 13" Plus 1 kit, then yes it will work with the stock GT calipers.

Don't expect much of an increase in braking fron it though. It's a thin 1/2" wide rotor that will be prone to fade.

That kit is $250, while the FMS M-2300M kit is $190 and has the parts to swap to the 11.65" Cobra rear disk setup with a thicker venter rotor. Not as big as the 13" setup, but a little more performance based.

Your choice of course, just laying out the options.

Very good help bud.

Performance isn't key in this application. I wont be autocrossing or having to get on the breaks like an indy driver.

I love the big brake look, and the baer rotors look nice, cross drilled and slotted.

My basic idea is this.. 13 inch rotors all around perferably cross drilled and slotted.. but they dont have to be.. as long as they look really nice. As for calipers, I LOVE the bullit ones, the red ones with the white pony..

Question.. will the rear bullit calipers fit 13 inch rotors?

WillDuhhBeast said:
Question.. will the rear bullit calipers fit 13 inch rotors?

Yes they will.

Bullitt/Cobra/Mach 1 rear calipers and GT/V6 rear calipers are identical (except for colors of course) the only differences are in the caliper bridge.

The main difference is the GT/V6 features an open bridge while the Bullit/Cobra/Mach 1 has a connected bridge for added strenght.

Also, the Cobra/Bullitt/Mach 1 bridge has a wider slot for the larger thicker 11.65" rotor.

You can use a GT bridge on an 11.65" rotor, but you need to grind open the slot slightly.

Pads are also different. They are the same physical size and shape, but the Cobra/Bullitt/Mach1 pad has less material on it so it can fit over the thicker rotor.