what can i get for 500 bucks?

gt40_2003wes

I did sound a wee bit gay there.
Aug 14, 2005
ky
i recently got a 88 gt and i only have 500 bucks to put into the motor the motor is completely stock and i was wonderin what i could do to get the most power with only 500 bucks or until i can get more money what do u suggest?

• Sponsors (?)

Are you going to be able to tear down your engine or are you just thinking bolt on stuff mainly? If you do your own work you could get a cam and the lower intake ported by tmoss.. or you could even buy a set of gt40p heads.

emagdnim said:
Are you going to be able to tear down your engine or are you just thinking bolt on stuff mainly? If you do your own work you could get a cam and the lower intake ported by tmoss.. or you could even buy a set of gt40p heads.
I think most people stay w/ the stock cam w/ a mostly stock motor. It's been said that the stock cam is still good in a somewhat modded motor - depending on mods.

Popular suggestions usually are (these aren't necessarily motor mods):
Gears (I think $300-400 w/ installation :shrug: )
Subframe connectors (around $100-150 w/ welding in)

Shifter $150-200
midpipe (h or x pipe) $100-400 depending if you keep catalytic convertors and brand

tune up w/ cap & rotor/plugs/wires/K&N $100ish

I would start here

Tune Up ($100.00 or there abouts)
Underdrive Pullies ( maybe 100? I am not sure)
Bigger MAF / TB (around 400 all together)
Gears (getting my gears installed was $800 - that could change depending on who did the work)

My o/r h-pipe took me from a 15.2@90mph to a [email protected]. I got a Mac one brand new for $119, installed it myself.

Then my intake manifold. I got my SVO cobra used, it had already been ported for $200. It took me from a [email protected] to a [email protected] with a 70mm throttle body, you can't tell me that's not bang for the buck.

So for under $400 you can seriously add some hp and drop your 1/4 times pretty good.

Gears will by FAR give you the best seat-of-the-pants difference. Exhaust will make your car sound better, but realistically not do much for you until you upgrade your heads/cam/intake. Make sure to chip in for a posi-rebuild while having the gears installed. If you have any money left over (assuming car is 5-speed) I'd pop for a short throw shifter........makes the car a heck of a lot more fun to drive.