What color to paint my car?

Joe 5.0

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2002
Macomb, MI (metro detroit)
Well I've come to the decision that I want a non-common Mustang color. I want it to be black, but with alot of metal flake to add depth. Anyone know of a stock color from any manufacturer that is like that? I plan on doing a bunch of web searching and actual dealer lot sying to see if I can find the shade I'm looking for.

And also, I'll be spending about the same to change the color as I would to repaint it laser red. The laser red is pricey since its a tri-coat paint, whereas most paints are single stage.

• Sponsors (?)

wytstang said:
Jet black........with purple high lights lol no really jet black looks good. But if you're a perfectionest(sp?) when it comes to a scratch free finish you're in for the long haul.
amen, brutha...

i've owned 2 black cars in my life... and i will own 0 more of them before i die... talk about high maintenance... needs to be cleaned nearly daily... and all those scratches that eventually show up are just agonizing...

Joe 5.0- if you've never owned a black car before, please think about it very carefully...

oh... and i like yellow and sonic blue...

Joe 5.0- if you've never owned a black car before, please think about it very carefully...

front_corner.JPG

I kept it almost 100% swirl free without too much hassle. Most swirls come from over-washing with harsh towels.

Attachments

• front_corner.JPG
    front_corner.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 47
Yea but there are not a lot of cars that look better than a clean black car.

Look at BMW's carbon black...or Jeep had a black with a pearl or flake in it. I think Toyota has something similar too. Shoot just go to a bunch of dealerships and look at the color samples. :nice:

+1 on the "black is a very high maintenance color"

i think i won the dirtiest car award with mine ...
dirt_0003.jpg

it looks great when clean, but terrible when not

i had a 2001 gt that had the "True Blue Clearcoat Metallic" paint. it was beautiful. it was totalled when a 16 yr old girl turned across traffic right in front of me. :nonono:

i may get mine painted that color if i ever scrape up the money.

PF-after2.jpg

Attachments

• dirt_0003.jpg
    dirt_0003.jpg
    375 KB · Views: 38
  • PF-after2.jpg
    PF-after2.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 63
I use a cotten mitt also, but doing the 2-bucket method helps alot. I also take it to the do-it-yourself carwash and high pressure spray off the majority of the dirt immediately before hand washing. Drying with a waffle weave microfiber is a must, and frequent polishing and waxing is the only way to keep it swirl free.

Dont get me wrong, I am def no pro. I only know what I know by browsing sites like autopia.org to see what true pro's do, and use.

Joe 5.0 said:
I use a cotten mitt also, but doing the 2-bucket method helps alot. I also take it to the do-it-yourself carwash and high pressure spray off the majority of the dirt immediately before hand washing. Drying with a waffle weave microfiber is a must, and frequent polishing and waxing is the only way to keep it swirl free.

Dont get me wrong, I am def no pro. I only know what I know by browsing sites like autopia.org to see what true pro's do, and use.
Which WW towel do you use/prefer? I have a pakshak, Autogeek, Danase, and Winnercircle WW towel.

Rio said:
I use one of those mitts and mines starting to swirl...
If you're looking for a very soft mitt look into the Australian Sheepskin washmits from exceldetail.com (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=30057). Talk about a super soft wash mitt it's soft enough to want to sleep on lol. I have their Med plush mitt and just wow, I just use it for paint only and use a cheap mitt (Megs) to clean my rims/tires/fenderwells.