what color?

badazz68stang

Mar 28, 2006
i've been thinkin alot about what color to paint my car, i could go with a jet black and ALOT of shiny chrome, or a pretty blue with some white shelby stripes, i jus want a paint scheme that wont make the car look like a regular old grocery getter, any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

I understand that grocery thing. I don't know if you have a coupe or FB, but the colors look about the same one either one.

I'll post a few pics that are sitting on my computer to help you see a comparison of color.

I don't like black on anything anywhere because it hides a lot of the shape of a car unless it is in bright light, plus it gets dirty as soon as you wash it. Just a personal thing.

Here is a Blue & White stripe that I think looks REALLY nice, and a silver and black.

Attachments

• 1-67gt5001.jpg
    1-67gt5001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 6a_3.jpg
    6a_3.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 144
One more.

To me the lighter cars look better because the body lines that I love so much are clearly visible.

The rest of my pics are too big to upload. So if you still can't decide, look on ebay.

Attachments

• forceddownload.jpg
    forceddownload.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 139
Like a very dark maroon, but where the light highlights it you get a deep red/maroon. It's a very understated/sexy colour. I also think the same thing but with a blue hue instead of red would also be sexy.

I also agree ttoney in that, on these cars, it's more about shape than colour, and the dark colours hide the shape. I love 69 sportsroofs and whilst at uni one day I spotted one done in cool white with some nice shiny 17 inch chrome wheels. It was heavenly. White has other advantages - can be cheaper than other colours, no need to do it in a base/clear, it will keep the car cooler in the sun, it doesn't attract the wrong kind of attention (punks who think it is badass because it is black, and might damage it through jealousy, or cops who think you're a hoon because it is red...), and inversely to black, it looks pretty clean all the time.

Black (and dark shades) are all about the paint, you can see imperfections easily, dirt, scratches, warps, etc, but it's harder to see the shape, whereas white highlights the shape, and hides the surface imperfections.

If you want it to look like a grocery getter, paint it any tint of resale red.
Not grocery getter would be any thing else.

Ok thats just a little joking rant, cause I'm Soooooooooo, tired of "everybodys got one red" Mustangs. Or as Carol Shelby should have said, "If you want a red car, go buy a Ferrari".

It also depens upon how unique you want to be. There are a million Red and Blue Mustangs.

Original look cars are cool too. The Slime Greens, Baby Blues, Black colors are cool in original classic look.

Oh, and my car doesn't look like this pic either. That is a photo chop. I just got a 67 GT500 style hood and put it on instead of the one in the pic. I will update it when the paint gets put on or at least when I can get teh axle back together and move the car again.

color is a real personal decision, about like boxers or briefs. Especially if you're going to do all the body and paint work yourself, you really need to love the color it will be after all that hard work and hours of sanding.

In general as already stated, white's the easiest and cheapest and will hide some flaws (I really think it should be called resale white) Red is the most expensive pigment, and black is by far the hardest to make look good and maintain.... you can breath wrong on a black paint job and need to touch it up.... but there's nothing like it when it's clean.

I'm a big fan of acapulco blue and jade green on the 69-70 cars... You could always revert back to the original color if you like it.

Photoshop is a great tool in the decision making process.
You could also go walking through new car parking lots on a sunny day and check out what colors really grab your eye, the paint code is then just a phone call away and should be easy for any paint shop to mix up for you.

DarkoStoj said:
I wanted to do mine in a dark black cherry with two white racing stripes and a white interior. I think that would look great

Lately I've been really torn between white with a black vinyl top for Sadie or dark black cherry w/o the vinyl top. Since I already have the top, I've decided to go ahead and paint her white for now, but when it comes time to repaint and/or when the top gets worn out, I'm going with the black cherry.

-Chelle

milner351 said:
I really think it should be called resale white

Hey!!! That statement cheapens white, and I'll be darned if I'll let you get away with it! Resale red is ok, because red is so overused like a 50 YO streetwalker that's been on the job far too long, but not white!

No, I guess I see your point, and white modern grocery-getters look like refrigerators, you know, it gives me the feeling that they painted it that colour just to have something covering the bare metal. But on a shapely car, white can be classy and just work and be right for it.

Route666 said:
Hey!!! That statement cheapens white, and I'll be darned if I'll let you get away with it! Resale red is ok, because red is so overused like a 50 YO streetwalker that's been on the job far too long, but not white!

No, I guess I see your point, and white modern grocery-getters look like refrigerators, you know, it gives me the feeling that they painted it that colour just to have something covering the bare metal. But on a shapely car, white can be classy and just work and be right for it.

I liked how my old white 67 looked (ignore my goofy ass)
me%20and%20gta.jpg