What do you guys think of WATER WETTER?

• Sponsors (?)

Used it in my old 77 F150, with a 400m and no fan shroud.

It would run barely cool enough towing down the interstate at 60 or so, but not 65, and would boil out the overflow when you came off an exit ramp to a stop or, at a gas station.

The water wetter improved that problem a good bit. Made it almost normal, for towing to Gainesville FL for FFW's.

84blkstang said:
Not to hijack the thread but if i ran straight water my car would run cooler? than add antifreeze in the winter?
That is what many folks do. The antifreeze raises the boiling point a little bit (not as much as one would think), but it also does not absorb heat as well as the water it is replacing, so it cancels itself out and then some, IMHO.

One can run as little anti freeze as is necessary for the coldest temps one sees.

Once again though, this is not a huge difference - if someone needs to run straight water to try and keep temps in check, there is likely another issue. FWIW, i start out at 50/50 or 60/40 (water/coolant, respectively) and add distilled water only as a topper.

I don't use it. As others have said before, if there is something wrong with your car running hot the look elsewhere for the problem.

And while we are on the subject of things, PLEASE DO NOT USE DEXCOOL OR MIX IT WITH ETHYLENE GLYCOL BASED ANTI-FREEZE.

I really don't see any reason using it unless you're overheating or something. It may lower the temp of your car, but what's the point if your stock cooling system is doing fine? The engines make more power in the 180°-195° range anyway.

its simple PHYSICS straight 100% water can absorb more heat period....(grandpa was head of physics dept at Uof Washington) but anyway...yeah watch the rust

I agree with this, BUT plain water boils at 212 F. So doesn't the absorption of heat disappear after that. That is another advantage of antifreeze, etc. It also changes the boiling point.... School me if I am wrong on this.... :shrug:

85mcLaren said:
I agree with this, BUT plain water boils at 212 F. So doesn't the absorption of heat disappear after that. That is another advantage of antifreeze, etc. It also changes the boiling point.... School me if I am wrong on this.... :shrug:
In a system with 16 PSI, even with straight water, the effective boiling point would be ~260*F (each PSI raises the boiling point ~3*F). There are also many other dynamics going on in there.

Antifreeze changes the boiling point, but since it does not transfer heat as well as water, one can run hotter with antifreeze (kind of defeats the whole slightly higher boiling point part).