What does a bad wheel bearing sound like?

Yellow01GT

Founding Member
Dec 14, 2001
Jefferson City, MO
My car is making a really annoying squeaking/screaching noise coming from the passenger side front wheel area. Everytime the wheel makes a revolution it screaches. If I'm turning like from one street to another it gets louder and more obnoxious. I'm pretty sure it's not the brakes because it happens whether I have the brakes on or not. I just had the tie rod replaced on that side about 3 weeks ago. Could that have something to do with it? Could it be a wheel bearing? Can someone help me troubleshoot this problem... :(

• Sponsors (?)

That definetly sounds like a wheel bearing. I hit a curb in my car and it made the exact same noise, wheel bearing was shot. It could be bad news if you don't get it fixed. It can totally seize and create a pretty good fire if not worse. Get it looked at as soon as you can. It could also be a brake caliper and your brakes might be siezing and that would be very bad too. Sounds more like bearing though.

I could be your brakes.

A Bad wheel bearing will be a dull grinding niose, louder while turning one way or the other. The key is the change in noise as you turn and transfer body weight.

A noisy *new* Tie rod end will squeek while moving the sterring wheel.

Your splash shield behind the rotor could be rubbing on the rotor, doesn't matter if the brakes are applied or not.

-Jack up the suspect corner and rotate the tire to help locate the noise.